Will this pass?

Defying expectations, a bipartisan majority of President Barack Obama's deficit commission has rallied behind the panel's controversial deficit-slashing proposals.

A key Obama ally, liberal Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, endorsed the plan Thursday night, joining two of the Senate's most conservative Republicans.

The plan now has public commitments of support from a majority of the 18-member commission, but it still will fall short of the 14 votes needed to officially adopt it when the deficit-cutting panel votes on Friday.

Among its many contentious provisions, the plan would raise the Social Security retirement age and scale back popular tax deductions on health insurance and mortgage interest.

Commission co-chairmen Erskine Bowles, who was chief of staff to President Bill Clinton, and former Wyoming GOP Sen. Alan Simpson have labored on the deficit issue for months, keeping all but the most partisan members involved in the commission's work. Gaining the support of Durbin, a key Obama ally, was a major development.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:04 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• They don't know that yet. The vote isn't for 15 more minutes. Aside from that, it's just to get it out of the committee to be discussed by the idiots in congress. This means nothing. If Obama or congress can't introduce some of these ideas on their own they have some serious problems. The commission was a joke to start with.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think the question should be CAN it pass...and I mean even if it does pass this vote...seems it wouldn't get much further...
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree there. They can implement some of the ideas rather painlessly but I'm sure it will become a political game instead
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• An announcement Thursday by Sens. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., and Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, in favor of the politically explosive plan to cut the deficit by almost $4 trillion over the coming decade gave the measure momentum from key Senate conservatives.

But two House Republicans on the panel announced they will oppose the plan, as expected. So did Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., a panel member.

But even opponents such as the future House Budget Committee chairman, Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., who also is on the commission, said it was a credible first step to build upon next year.

"It's the memo that controls the meeting," said panel member Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., a supporter.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If it did pass, it will never go beyond being a first step.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A presidential commission's controversial plan to reduce the U.S. deficit budget appeared likely to fall short of the support it needs to advance to Congress on Friday after panel member Andy Stern said he would not back it.

"I voted 'no', despite my admiration for the effort, because any plan, I feel strongly, must tackle both our fiscal and investment deficit needed to create jobs and a dynamic economy,"

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Foolish. Did anyone read the report? I spent the better part of yesterday doing exactly that. There's some real ideas there, points made with the data to back them, and the idea that the 'party of fiscal responsibility' will find a reason to block this before it even comes to a debate blows my mind. I guess it's not the darling of the day, so as far as they're concerned it's not worth the paper it's printed on.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010