No Vitamin D? My Dr. put me on 50,000 units of Vit. D2 a week!

I was just diagnosed with extreme Vitamin D deficiency. I have need heard of this outside of a malnutrition situation. I was watching one of the national morning shows and they had a report that many women who are experiencing general aches/pains, fatigue, weight gain etc etc have extreme Vit. D deficiency that can lead to bigger health issues. Anyone experiencing this?

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 9:22 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Health

• I take the same amount as you. I hope you have an endocrinologist monitoring this. My dr. has explained that high blood calcium + low vitamin D is likely because of a problem in my parathyroid (not your plain ole thyroid every dr. checks). He's monitoring it to see if we can get it balanced out and avoid surgery. :)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I too suffer from Vitamin D deficiency. I order my 50,000 from Vitalady in California. I have extreme fatigue that I usually attribute to depression. I also have extremely low red blood cell count. So I am also taking lots of iron supplements. Hopefully, get things on track the beginning of the year. I am going to a hematologist in January when my new deductible starts.
    I hope your vitamin D goes up.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thanks for reminding me..I run into this Asian Dr. on my walks and he told me we need to take much bigger amounts than recommended..I wrote down the amount he said...now where's that piece of paper...grrr, I keep forgetting to buy it...does it help with memory too? lol
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 9:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Actually, there are studies that are showing that people in Australia and the US are Vit. D deficient.....we are also the highest users of Sunscreen......
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I too have low low thyroid and it was the endo. who prescribed the Vit D because I am already on a really high dose of synthroid and was still tired and gaining alot of weight.
    mrsljamieson

Comment by mrsljamieson (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I just checked my calcium/magnesium supplements and they have 800 IU of vitamin D3 as cholecalciferol...? I didn't know there were different kinds..your Dr. gave you D2? What's the difference, and should I be taking bigger doses?
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 9:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yes - Vitamin D deficiency is becoming much more common. I had mine checked, it was low and am on Vitamin D supplements as well.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• eating diets high in whole foods and very low in processed foods is going to benefit everyone. all vitamins and minerals and phytonutrients all work together. in my opinion, to test for and focus on one is doing you (us) a disservice.
    how is your diet in essential fats? fish oil, or udo's oil is very good. probiotics are very good too, as most people have had a few doses of antibiotics.
    there was also a study indicating that levels too high in vitamin d can cancel out vitamin a and vice versa.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Truth is that most Americans are vitamin D deficient. Everyone should have their levels checked twice a year and supplement as necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Usually, people supplement vitamin D3, not D2. From "Difference Between.net" I found this:
    Summary:

1. Vitamin D is manufactured by both plants and animals. Vitamin D3 is particularly found on the skin of animals, as a byproduct of synthesis.
    2. Vitamin D is not beneficial in all its forms. Vitamin D2, one of the forms of vitamin D can be toxic to the body. Vitamin D3 is good for the body.
    3. You can get vitamin D from fortified foods or as pills. However, vitamin D3 is only available in the form of pills or in liquids. They are rarely found in foods.
    4. Supplements for the two vitamins are sourced differently.
    5. The D2 form of the vitamin has a shorter shelf life compared to the D3 form.

I read a lot of health related stuff, but have never seen anything suggest supplementing Vitamin D2.

ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010