How do I get my 2 1/2 yr old to sleep in his own bed?

He sleeps with us everynight since birth. He's addicted to me. He loves to touch my face. I can't stand it any more. It's causing marital problems. Do I let him cry it out? If I lay with him in his bed, he will fall asleep, but he will wake every hour. I need help!

dollyrossi

Asked by dollyrossi at 2:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• huh duh you shouldn't have done that in the first place you are now stuck for the next 3 years. thats why i didn't do that. i moved her from the cradle to her bed at 3 months. good luck on your marriage it will get a lot worse from here
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• to be honest, but not trying to be mean, you deserve it! there is no reason he should have slept with you this long. now it will be harder for him to adjust and you may even feel "empty" at first as well. encourage him to sleep in his big boy bed and maybe give him a pillow from your room that "smells" like mom and dad. this may help comfort him. but other than that all you can do is encourage him, and yes, he will cry but give hime five or ten minutes to cry it out then go in and talk to him and leave him to cry again. eventually he will cry himself to sleep and the learn to just go to sleep on his own. but give him some comforting because he will need that for a while.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Be strong, lay with him until he goes to sleep. Give him stuff from your bed that he is familar with. There is nothing wrong with co-sleeping, but if it causing martial problems, then something should change. If he gets out of bed, take him back, lay with him til he goes to sleep. It'll take a while, but eventually he'll get the idea. Things maybe too different from mom's bedroom. Mine didn't like the quiet. I put a fan in her room pointed toward a wall for white noise, then I put a baby blanket and pillow in her bed with her. I used to lay with her, but now I sit at her bed and read her a story. She ends up falling alseep in a couple of minutes. Yes, she cried for a while too. There is NO one size fits all method for this. You don't deserve to be unhappy, btw. I believe in you.
    xmen_mom

Answer by xmen_mom at 3:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2008