Babysitting Pay?

My younger sister recently had a baby (September) and is now planning on looking for a new job. She found a decent paying job but it is on third shift and she asked me if I would "babysit" her son overnight when she works. I'm ok with it, but she asked me how much she should pay me and I don't know what to tell her. She'd be dropping him off at 9:30pm, and in the morning I'd have to get him up, around and dressed and take him home (before I take my own son to daycare so I can go to work).

What is a reasonable amount for a job like this??

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say for Monday-Friday $75-100 a week.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That's up to you. It is after all your nephew. Would she charge you for if you needed a babysitter??
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• being responsible for a baby overnight is a TOUGH job, can you deal with the sleep loss and still function in your own life?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If he's only 2 months old, then he'll be up several times/night I'm guessing (mine were all sleeping through as well as most of my friends, but judging from on here that's not the norm) and you have to go to work the next day - I have paid sitters $75-100/night to keep my kids and they all sleep through!

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Well, being my sister, I would think to help her out. Problem is, she is ALWAYS "dropping him off" so she can go get her nails done, go tanning, go to the gym....she never stops by just to talk or say hi, only when she needs something. I've gotten really irritatied with her: I wouldn't mind watching him once in awhile if she needed to run errands or whatever but she just calls me sometimes and says "hey I'm gonna drop him off for a few hours, that ok?" and I have my own (2-year old) son that I'm looking after and playing with so I'm getting sick of the whole "family" thing. She has NEVER not once babysat for me, even when I asked. She's always "too busy" or "too tired"
    AidensMommy608

Comment by AidensMommy608 (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• OP--that last little bit of info is important.. She is using you honey.. I would definitely make her pay... & up front.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• $100 a week for a 5 day week. It is a lot of work and she should appreciate what you are doing. This is a real deal for her. And you will know that your nephew is taken care of. It sounds like she is not quite ready to be a mommy. Why can't she pick up in the morning?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• In that case I'd charge her. If the normal rate is $75-$100, you might consider discounting it to$60-$80.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i have to agree w/ the above....if anything charge her 75 a week and ask her if she can at least take yours on a sat night even if its every other week to give u a break even if its for a few hours just so u can catch up on sleep. xo. and if she dosent pay u tell her u wont babysit. and that u deal with enough on ur own already so least she could do is make sure u get paid for waken up at night and driving to drop child off. best of luck hunny its a tough one. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Since she is your sister I would charge less than anyone else. I pay $1.50 an hour per kid but I'm lucky to have found someone at that price. Everyone else charges $3-$4 hr. per kid. You have to realize that you will be losing sleep though. Mine was getting up every 2-3 hours.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 10:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2010