How do you feel about parents conceiving a child that they know will have a disability?

I am watching Discovery Health right now and two dwarf parents were saying that they knew that there was a high risk that if they conceived that their child would never make it out of the hospital alive once born. If the child did make it they would also be a dwarf and have other medical problems.

What do you think about this?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 2:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• If the baby would have a deadly and/or very painful disease, than I don't agree. It is selfish to try to have a baby that you know will suffer. If the baby has a high chance of having a disability that is not life-threatening and/or painful, and the parents are up for the challenge, than I don't see any reason why they shouldn't try to conceive.
    PnMMom

Answer by PnMMom at 9:07 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i think adoption sounds like their solution if they want a healthy baby there are plenty of mothers who want to abandon their children these kind of people can help those poor babies
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 2:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Also on Discovery/TLC they have Little People Big World. I couldn't imagine bringing a dwarf or disabled baby into the world.....but since they have lived their life that way they are able to raise their kids. So who is anyone to tell them they cannot or should not try to have a baby of their own. Heck, even "normal" size people who are high risk try to get pregnant all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Wow, and see, here I am thinking...it is none of my business. We all have genetic flaws, and some of ours just don't show up until later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Well I have been told that it is irresponsible of me to have children knowing that I have a very high likelihood of them having autism. However, obviously I disagree and have had children. I think it is up to the parents and the severity of the disorder/disability. If it is something like autism, I don't see a reason not to have children. Autism isn't a death sentence and can be dealt with. However, something like Tay Sachs which is deadly and painful for the children who have to suffer through it, the parents should either adopt or use IVF so that they only use eggs and sperms without those genes.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• All children are a blessing regardless of what challenges they bring into this world. It is not our place to judge whether they should or should not have children. Think of how many bad parents there are out there who have genetically "normal" children....
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• that is their decision not yours. You will not raise that child they will. what, because a child is disabled they don't have a right to live. Shame on you.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 8:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I saw make them babys and love them thats why they are having them because they want them regruadless of what might be wrong with thtem
    grumpyboston

Answer by grumpyboston at 8:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think people like that are selfish. If you want a child and know you are just going to bring a life into this world that will NEVER be able to care for itself, adopt, foster.. get a damn dog.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 8:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• First of all if the parents are making a fully informed decision, it's their decision! Using donor sperm and having IVF is no guarantee that you will not have a child born with a life threatening disease or disability. I have a friend that went that route and she has a beautiful daughter that was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. I've heard many stories from parents that were told that their child would be born with a disability and that they should abort because their child would never live, learn and have the ability to do certain things and that just didn't turn out to be true and their children are doing very well and living very productive lives.
    racsb58

Answer by racsb58 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2008