how to keep a toddler in bed at night?

my son got a toddler bed saturday and he seems to think thrughout the night he needs to get out of bed and play with toys and explore the house.. he got up twice last nite and ended up sleeping in the living room floor..what can i do . i have a mattress on the floor so he dont fall on the floor.. Help i dont need him to get in to something and hurt himself.

Levink_08

Asked by Levink_08 at 9:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he can't open the door, then close it. Put a doorknob cover on if he can open the door, or put a gate in his doorway.
    This was asked yesterday - scroll down about 6-7 questions for more answers.

Answer by missanc at 9:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My 3 year old will sleep in her room, but she sometimes gets up and plays before I hear her.. She hasn't ever gotten hurt.. I would say put up a baby gate and just lay some safe toys out for him to play with in his room.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Just cause he is a toddler I would not expect your sleepless nights to be over. Just get up and consistently put him back into bed. The toddler bed is a new thing so there is new training that needs to be done...kinda like potty training, you will need to train him to stay in his bed. Tell him why he needs to stay in his bed. Its scary I know but it eventually happens. Soon it will be a routine.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh yes...I remember now! We too used a baby gate...and I combined that and what I said up there ^.. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i for got to mention we have to keep his bedroom door open for the heat from the pellet stove to hit their room and he is sleeping in the same room as his little brother who is 8 months old
    Levink_08

Comment by Levink_08 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Use a baby gate. You can double them up too so he can't climb over if you need to. Some gates are flimsy, so make sure you get a decent one. If he gets out of bed, don't worry, just ignore him, he'll go back to bed.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Just keep the door shut until he falls asleep and then you can open it. This is what I do and as for him getting up you can either take all the toys out so he has nothing to play with or just keep getting him. But either way just keep putting him back to bed. Do not turn on any lights and only after the first time should you speak to him after that just put him back down each time. It may take a while but eventually he will stay.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I put a baby gate up when my son goes to bed
    Babygirl121307

Answer by Babygirl121307 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree with using a baby gate. We also had a unspoken agreement that if you are up after bedtime, but being so quiet you aren't disturbing anyone, we'll ignore it. We often have the older two "playing" after light out. As long as they are quiet and in their rooms, we act like we don't know.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2010