Anyone with a hermaphrodite dog?

We got a puppy a month ago. She's a boston terrier named tuesday.

She had a bladder infection and it hadn't cleared up by the time her meds ran out so i had to take her to the vet yesterday.

Turns out, it wasn't a balder infection at all...she just has a PENIS.

The vet said it wan't that uncommon.

(P.S. I am not a troll, this is an honest question)

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Pets

• Of all the intersex cases in dogs, 25 percent are true hermaphrodites. The pet may appear to have a large clitoris but otherwise normal female genitals. Others may have what appears to be a small but otherwise normal penis. Often, the testicles or ovotestis remain within the abdomen and do not descend into the scrotal sacs. Sometimes, the pet is never diagnosed as a hermaphrodite and lives life with few problems. Typically, female dogs do not exhibit heat cycles and do not reproduce.

You can research more at www.petplace.com
    Amazing that it happens to animals as well!
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Well, if it can happen to humans, I guess it can hapen to dogs and other animals. I have no experience with this though. I hope you get some answers.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• no lol. But I agree it is not uncommon. Does she has testicles as well? What is there plan? We had a cat come into the clinic I work for not long ago who had a vagina and all female anatomy plus testicles we had to spay and neuter it! Spay to prevent heat cycles and mammary cancers and neuter to prevent the testicles form becoming cancerous.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:00 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• She has a vagina.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It can happen. I have seen a couple of dogs like this.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Does she has testicles as well? The vet wasn't sure. He didn't feel any in her abdomen, and she doesn't have a full on penis, actually. Just a " very small bony protrusion", which he said may not be a penis...we'll only know when she's spayed if they find the testies.

What is there plan? Well, we didn't plan to spay her and part of the reason we thought she had a bladder infection was because of some strange pottying behavior she has. Vet said lest wait until she's 8 month, when her body is done growing, and see if the pottying thing changes. If it does't we'll see a soft tissue surgeon to have the "obstruction" removed.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• R u sure your dog is not a male?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2010