I hate my engagement ring. Now what?

There, I said it! My cousin flew home to tell us she was engaged, so my fiance went out and bought it all in a hurry. I have no idea why. It's nothing I would have picked. We had discussed it previously, I told him what I wanted, I told him I wanted to look at rings first. I was devastated when he gave it to me. He didn't listen at all.

Has anyone experienced this? Do I just lie for the rest of my life or do I tell him?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• Tell him! I told my DH that i didn't like mine & we took the stones out & put it in a much nicer setting. AND, the ring he gave me was his mothers...LOL! I'm not going to wear an ugly ring the rest of my life!

Be honest!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think you should tell him of course in the nicest way possible. Is it the size of the diamond, or the setting, or maybe you don't like the color of gold? I told my husband white gold only i don't like yellow gold.
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 9:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• As long as u have the receipt,tell him and take it back. An engagement ring should be something u want and will cherish. I would definitely insist on going together and having u pick out the one u want.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would tell him. Do you really want to lie to him for the rest of your relationship?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• oh my goodness, yes!!! exccept i told him that i hated it and that the next time he buys me something he better listen to what im telling him that i like. i took the ring back and exchanged it for something i did like. we didnt end up getting married. not because of that though.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You should tell him, forever is a long time to hide something.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 9:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Your a lucky lady to have an engagement ring.

I am trying to learn to appreciate what ever my man does for me, and yes I don't think men tend to listen. If you hate it that much then sit down and have a heart too heart.

Tell him: You love him, and you are so happy he took the next step but you would like to exchange it for something that looks nicer on your finger, or fits your finger better. Just don't say it is ugly make up an excuse too why you don't want it- or be honest too why you don't want it as long as your not saying it is too small in that case you should deal with it and hopefully you can add too it, sometimes in order not to hurt someone's feelings you must tell a white lie.... Good luck and Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it shouldn't matter what it looks like.. He loves you and wants to marry you and you should be happy he got it for you.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• what is it that you hate about it?
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• don't pay her any mind. i think anybody who is willing to not share how that honestly feel with someone they are about to be with for the rest of there life has issues. if it is a symbol of love mayber her fiance should not have rushed out and bought the first thing he saw to keep up with the jones'. like i said tell your husband, i'm sure he will see the error of his ways and actually listen to what you want and he can surprise you. my husband we went and looked and i told him what i liked and didn't like i wasn't with him when he bought my actual ring though.
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 10:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2010