I'm literally going to take this dog to the pound

We apparently had a dog dumped the other day and of course it came to our house. It's a very cute dog and it's teeth look like it's about a year old. BUT!!!!!!! It's spastic!! It's the craziest thing I've ever seen! It came scratching on the door when I found it, so being nice I was going to put it in the barn out of the cold rain. I barely crack the door, stick my foot in it's face so it'll stay out but OH NO it bursts through the door, runs through the house, and jumps on MY COUCH! I kept it in the barn a while but nobody claimed it, I tried to let it out hopefully to run away or home, I put it in the kennel with our dogs so it could play, now it squeezed through the kennel gate, it scratches at my doors, barks, etc. WHAT THE HECK SHOULD I DO??? My husband says we're not keeping the dog period even if I have to take it to the pound. I've put up "found dog" posters with no response.

RentaMom

Asked by RentaMom at 10:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I would find a no kill shelter or rescue for it. GL.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• No response, not a pet that you chose, it is well with in your rights to take the dog to the local shelter.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't take it to the pound. Do you have a local human society or no kill shelter near by? And good for you for putting up posters. Poor guy, just wants some love and attention it sounds like. But I completely understand not wanting to keep him so good luck!
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• U are just like me. I will rescue anything with 4 legs. It is probually very confused at this time, especially if it is lost but the wildness and craziness could be because it is a stray. they seem to have the more defensive way of going about life. Maybe call a near by shelter and ask if anyone has reported the dog and give a good description or send a pic to them so if the owner tries to contact the shelter. If u have to give it away, maybe advertise for it on craigslist.com for an x mas puppy. or if u have to give it up, please be considerate and give it to a no kill or low kill shelter.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 10:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Is the pound a kill shelter if it is please don't take him there. Look in the phone book for other shelters or call a vets office and tell them you found him if they would take him and put him up for adoption or know of somewhere you can take him. Poor dog, thanks for trying to help the poor thing even though it acts crazy. Good Luck
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Take the dog and a copy of your poster to the animal shelter. You can only do what you can do. Unfortunately you're put in a position to have to deal with someone elses irresponsible behaviors.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Humane Society. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• When Daisy first came to me she had some serious behavior problems due to being left alone for a year with hardly any human contact. She would do similar things. It took me two years to get her to be normal. It wasn't easy either. She is however, and awesome dog and I'm more attached to her for it. I really hope your suprised houseguest finds a home that will do the same for him. Try putting him on craigslist for a small adoption fee, and put in the ad that he needs some work. There aren't a lot of no kill shelters out there. You could however google local rescues.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Craigslist is a good idea. I have found stray animals homes there before and I ask for a rehoming fee but instead of having them give me money I ask that they pre pay the vet $25-$50. They are not given a way to possibly ( I know not all but bad things happen more often to free pets) of abuse and such, and the new owner is really only paying care costs.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i don't know where you live, but all the shelters are high kill so basically you give the dog to the pound, it will be killed.....take it to a pet orphanage....they have them everywhere..
    HELP767

Answer by HELP767 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2010