Daughter's pre school kind of ticked me off!

On the 17th of this month her school will be closing down completely until January 3rd. The way payments work is you pay half on the 1st (to cover 1st-15th) and half on 15th (to cover 16th-end of month).. So I went in to make my payment for the 1st half and I told them i'd like to go ahead and pay the pro rated amount for the end of the month as well (she will only be going one day before the school closes).. they told me I still had to pay for the ENTIRE month even though they will be closed during that time. This is just weird! Anyone else find this weird?? The 15th will be the last pay check before Christmas and although my payment is only $42 for the rest of the month, I still don't think I should have to pay! That could be used towards Christmas or other things! Is anyone else having to deal with this?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think that is totally unfair. I would have her go to school only until the 15th since they want to play that game.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would read the contract you signed when you signed her up. It should clearly state in there the fees for holidays and such. It is normal to be charged for this time, I am sad to say.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We have to pay for the full month also. Preschools budget are based on a set amount per month. It use to upset me more, but now I accept it. One year we had to pay for June and school ended on the 10th. I have decided if I wanted to pay only when I used it I would have day rate day care. But I want an organized good preschool and this cost comes with it. Besides, when I worked I got paid for holidays so why shouldn't they?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I rent houses. Some of my tenants go on two and three week vacations. They still pay their rent. Why do we want and expect benefits and yet we don't want to pay for others to have the same. They could just charge more the other times and come out the same.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yeah, they probably consider it a holding fee to hold her spot open for after the holidays.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Every daycare Ive ever used you had to pay for the whole month.
    Even if we took a weeks vacation I had to pay like 1/2 of the week.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Check the contract you signed. I bet you aren't paying month to month for the time she's actually in school, but a yearly fee that has been divided into months for easy payment.
    My kids went to Catholic school for 3 years and we paid full month's tuition even in summer when they weren't in school. It was either that or add that money to each month they were in school making the payments even higher. The tuition was $700 every month, 12 months a year (for 3 kids).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That's COMPLETELY CRAZY!!!!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Most preschool and child care contracts spell out specific paid holidays, just like any employment contract. If you look, you will probably see Christmas break is called out as one of them.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thanks for responses.. I have all paperwork for my child's pre school and do not see anything in here about that at all. This is her first year so I guess I am just not familiar with the way this all works.
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010