Ways to discipline for hitting?

Two of grandchildren hit and tattle while I think it is a control issue I am at a loss to how I can dicourage both of these behaviors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I make my stepson write it about twenty five times
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I use the Super Nanny method. lol. I tell them it's not ok to hit, put them in time-out for for the duration of their ages, then have them tell me why I put them in time-out. If I stay consistent with it, it works! If I give up for awhile we always end up falling back into the same hitting habits.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• For a toddler it's best to distract or substitute the negative behavior with one that is acceptable. For example, if a toddler writes on the walls it's best to say, "The walls are not for writing, but here is a piece of paper and you can write on this." When your toddler hits say firmly while holding his hands, "Hitting hurts." Take him over to a stuffed pillow and say, "You can't hit your sister / the cat but you can hit this." If you do this consistently, over a period of time, then you will see progress. The approach would be different for an older child.   www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 4:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree with time out. It frustrating to start but once you get it, it works perfectly for just about any age group.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 2:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Ask their parents how they prefer you to handle it.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2010