Anyone speak Chinese? What does Mormon mean in Chinese.

OK I found this on the web. I am not saying it is true. There has been a lot of q's on the Mormon faith lately here. My best friends family is LDS, infact I have a few LDS friend. I do not want to chance upsetting them. Anyone know or has studied chinese? I know we have a lot of really educated mommas here. I will close it if people get rude.

I am sure the Joseph Smith had no idea that 'Mormon' meant 'gates of hell' in Chinese when he used that name! I am just as certain that Mormons don't use it today because of its Chinese meaning; but it is a coincidence that that IS what it means in Chinese. I am quite firmly convinced that the mystic power and depraved sense of humor of Lucifer would allow 'Mormo', which is the satanic god of the living dead--an appropriate patron deity for a religion that spends much of its money and effort in seeking after and doing rituals for the dead in its temples.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Mormon doens't mean anything in Chinese...the "gates of hell" idea is a propaganda thing, based on one of about a dozen or so different characheters that can represent the sounds in the word...

The complexity of the Chinese language results in multiple charachters often representing the same sounds, when you try to put an English word with no translation into Chinese, you choose the charachters that represent the sounds of the word...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:07 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• joseph smith didn't call the members of his church mormons others did that were against them. we are the church of jesus christ of later day saints. mormons is referred to us cause it has been used through the ages and therefore are commonly known as that. if i were to say our real name would you of known me as a mormon? there has always been cruel words said and or beliefs of the faith but we are used to it cause we feel that the one church that stands out the most will be ridiculed the most. our prophet says that it's members speak for themselves. i know as a mormon i think it's silly that people are so narrow minded as to think that god having the power to do anything can't believe that he himself talked with a man by the name of joseph smith. he spoke to men of old in the bible. it's no different. yes we also believe in the bible.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Also, in regards to your post..."Mormo" isn't a Satanic diety (most forms of Satanism are atheistic anyhow--having any diety would be a bit oxymoronic)...It is a minor spirit from Greek mythology that accompanies Hecate and bites bad kids--kind of like the boogeyman, mentioned in the writings of Aristophanes.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2008