What is a Christian?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Simply: A follower of Jesus Christ. a Follower of the Way, a follower of the Light.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• To me, a Christian is a person who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and try to be more like Him. They look to Him for guidance, strength, advice, comfort, etc.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Many Christian Atheists and Gnostics would still call themselves Christians. Just as there are many denominations in mainstream Christianity, there's a lot of diversity in the definition. I seem to get down voted every time I mention Gnostic Christians for some reason, even though I'm not one myself.  I find that interesting.  This is just what it means to me based on my understanding of world religions.  I respect you feel differently about it, but I think they can still claim to be Christians if they choose to call themselves that and if they follow the teaching of Jesus.

From the multiple definitions of Christian: "of, pertaining to, believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ"

<a href="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/christian">Definition of Chrisitan</a>

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Someone who strives to live by the example given to them by the Biblical Jesus.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It seems to go in waves anon. Some months people are disagreeing but being polite other times the all posts turn away from the questions and turn into who can insult who more.

As for a christian anyone claiming the abrahamic  God and Jesus as his son and their saviour.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

Answer by Snewo 5 minutes ago

This is said perfectly....angel mini

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Someone who is Christ-like, who makes the conscious effort and take on the conscious responsibility/obligation to be like Jesus, to follow in his example in being compassionate, loving, kind, gracious, etc. It also implies some sort of discipleship in terms of a teacher/disciple relationship, that it indicates “following” the example and teachings of Christ, and having him, in some way at the center or head (or other equivalent) of one's beliefs and one's relationship with God.

A Christian is someone who believes in the person of Jesus, the message of love, compassion, and humility shown through his life, the thought that he reveals to us the character of God, Who is love and compassion, and who believes that living by his teachings and following his example can bring us closer to God as well as our fellow man.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Someone who's guru is Jesus Christ?

did i win?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Personally I think it's anyone who follows the teachings of Jesus, but there is a lot of diversity in what this means.  Most people who are Christian believe Jesus was the savior and son of God.  Some people follow his teachings, but do not believe in God or question the existence of God (Christian Atheists and Christian Agnostics for example).   You also have people like Gnostic Christians who follow his teachings, but have various beliefs about his life and who he was, and they usually follow additional books than just what is in the Bible or follow other books besides the Bible depending on their views.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If you don't know and youy claim to be one, no one can help you.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010