How do u feel about this? Asking for expensive gifts through donation program

Ive been adopting kids for Christmas since I was 17 and I love it. This year obviously there are more folks needing help with the economy being the way it is and lack of jobs.

My prob is when someone is going to ask for Christmas help and putting expensive items on their wish lists of the kids. Now I know the kids ASK for the stuff but the parents obviously relay the information to which ever agency they are asking for help from.

If you cant afford anything at all, wouldnt you be just as grateful if your child had a few presents to open at all instead of nothing?

Locally we do an angel tree at a local business. People call and request to be put on the tree, then you go and pick and angel off the tree and buy them gifts based on their sex, age and likes on the list.

This year Ive seen SEVERAL asking for nintendo DSi's and Wii's and stuff like that and it just irks me.

Ive needed help before, when my daughter was 2, I was a single mom and all i could afford was a few items from the dollar store and I was just going to make do because she was young. My boss knew I was struggling and her and some of my coworkers got together and bought Christmas for my daughter and i was SOOOO very grateful regardless of what the items were.

Would it irk you? Would it bother you to know these parents think its ok to ask for this stuff when they need help providing gifts? I know its not the kids fault.

Sandyr911

Asked by Sandyr911 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Holidays

• gifti never got it either. a gift should be just that a gift. some people place orders. i think a gift should be a surprise and it is the giver's choice on what item they want to give. i think its greedy and demanding when people ask for "gifts".

maya123

Answer by maya123 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• This is what all the kids have and their kids want it too. If you can afford it and have a mind to get that if not choose something different. Some people want to give that extra really special gift to a child that would not get it otherwise.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I see those all the time. Were struggling right now and decided not to get presents this year, only for our daughter. I thought it would be nice for us to get a gift for someone who has it even worse than us. I picked up the first one and it was an ipod touch for a 14 yo. That was the worst one, but I also saw a kid who wanted a guitar, a phone. Other than that other presents were under $25.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• holding giftsI personally think that someone should be monitoring these wants. If, like tootoobusy says, someone may want to purchase these large items, the wants should be separated. If I participated in these programs, I would definitely be angry if I got someone who wanted something I would not even buy my own children. That's not right.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If you cant afford anything at all, wouldn't you be just as grateful if your child had a few presents to open at all instead of nothing?
    .......................................................................................................................................................
    Sad but some people want only $$$$$ gifts.

We give every year and We kept away from Wii's and DSI that is something a parents should get on layaway.

My hubby just got gift tags and all they wanted was a coloring books and crayons, now that is nice. With that I would like to get them more.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• my DH's agency does Adopt a Family every year, and every year someone asks for a 42 inch plasma, and my DH makes them take it off of their list.....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We picked a 10 yo child off the Giving Tree at church last week and all she had on her list was Silly Bandz. To me, that is so sad. While all our kids are worrying about the latest video game or cell phone, she just wants some $3 Silly Bandz. Needless to add, I'm going to add more to that but it just struck me as very sad.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It's not right that someone should be asking for such expensive gifts from strangers, especially considering the people doing the giving don't usually have much money themselves either.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Well I wouldn't be bothered by it. I think a kid probably would want that. They can dream big can't they? I would feel awkward about asking for that stuff but if that was a dream of my kids then I may put it on there.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree. last year at the church I attended the womens ministry takes care of the gifts for the needy families. When a lady gave the list of items, all these kids wanted game consoles, Nike Jordan shoes, cell phones, iPods, laptops, etc. I think it's society in general who have created this entitlement attitude. I'm thinking of a new tradition to start when my dd is old enough to teach her that Christmas is about GIVING..not recieving and that the money spent on a gift does not give it value, its the thought and love behind the gift. My plan is to created small gifts to take to either sick children or children in orphanages, etc. Anyway, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwansaa and Happy Holidays to everyone!!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010