2 year old threatened with a fly swatter!

My friend threatened her 2 year old with a fly swatter. She didn't hit him, but she pulled it out and threatened to spank him with it because he wouldn't get in his car seat. It worked. Is this wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think so. Getting spanked with a hand hurts more in my opinion. Fly swatters just make a scarier sound. When I was smaller my mom would threaten me with a fly swatter. Looking back I realize that it just made a louder, scarier sound that got my attention and made me behave better.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I don't think its wrong. She didn't hit the kid with it, just used it to scare him a little. My mom did this all the time when we were younger (only sometimes, she actually used it.) If she had no intention of actually using it, and the kid listened, I don't think its wrong.
    amp83

Answer by amp83 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No ...Its not wrong,....Why do you think your friend beats her child with the flyswatter?
    or just threatens him ??

i dont get the question,...

if he isnt BEAT, then why care what she tells him......and why...dont u ask your friend?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• no it is not wrong.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 9:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No I don't think it's wrong. I use to babysit a little boy and his mom would threaten him around the same way your friend did. He has never got hit with it but is scared of it when it comes out. That he listens every time.
    mommy20507

Answer by mommy20507 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i kind of think it's wrong, not that i dont believe in disciplining children with a swat on the butt or something, but fly swatters are disgusting and actually have a lot of diseases on them.
    Anonymous

• Be a proper parent and discipline your child at any early age and you won't have to resort to physical violence because they don't respect you and won't listen to you. I'm appalled that so many people are okay with this. You shouldn't have to threaten your child because they refuse to behave. Your children are supposed to love and respect you because they love you, not because they fear you. If any of y'all had any idea of what it was like to be abused by a parent, you wouldn't be so quick to pull out that flyswatter.
    Mama0f3grlz

Answer by Mama0f3grlz at 12:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes, it is wrong. Why would you hit a small child for not getting into their seat? Why would you even threaten it? That's the behavior that child is learning. Awesome example!
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 10:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2008