potty training is it okay that im waiting?????

So heres the deal... I have a 2 1/2 year old son who i want to start potty training but he is not communicating very well and i dont know how to go about it.
SECOND. i am considering waiting because i also have a 1 1/2 year old daughter who just learned how to walk and i was thinking about waiting til she was almost two and try and potty train them together since both of them are so close in age and always wanting to do what each other is doing. what should i do?

MomGoneCrazyX2

Asked by MomGoneCrazyX2 at 3:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Little boys typically train closer to 3, and one of the signs of readiness is their ability to tell you that they need to go. Kids with siblings that are very close in age also tend to either imitate their older sibling or imitate their younger sibling, so you might notice your daughter doing things quickly and your son doing things a bit slower.

You can start on pre-training, though. Talk about the potty experience. Talk about how "Oops! Mommy drank a lot of water, now she's gotta pee. She's gonna run SUPERFAST to the potty to pee in the potty! Yay potty!" and stuff like that. Talk about how mommy wore diapers when she was little, etc. etc.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 3:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would start with both of them now, but not by putting them on the potty really. Just start talking about it, watching potty time and explaining the potty. No pressure, no expectations. I potty trained my son 3 and my daughter caught onto what was going on. She potty trained herself! She was only 15 months old! So yes, it really depends on your kids and it is absolutely ok to wait if you think they are not ready. But, it may make you feel like you're doing something if you at least own the video. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:35 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would say start them both now. Take them to the potty every couple hours. encourage, but don't force them. When they get the hang of using the potty the thing that worked best for me was going strait to underwear. It took a couple weeks, we are still working on poop, and there is an accident here and there, but it is nice not having diapers! (we do still use them at night.) as for your son, by comunicate I assume you mean talk. I don't think in is nessasary that he talk. 1st, although my son is in underwear he only tells me when he has to go about 20% of the time, I still have to tell him that it is potty time. 2nd, if he does know that he has to go he will find a way to tell you w/o talking.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 7:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would start them both now as well,
    taking them to the potty wont kill you, and it will save you money in the long run,

Teaching them will take time, And maybe your 3 yr old will be a little more easier to train, but i hear girls are more easier im not sure if its true, or not,
    but. alas, my 2 year old i started when she was around 16 months,
    and she is finally sitting on the pot herself, she just turned 2
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:35 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My son didn't really learn untill he was 3 yrs. I did have the potty seat out though. He used it when ever he wanted to. I started sitting him on it before bath time and in the morning. But he didn't usually stay long enough to go. Sometimes he would actually need to go right then and we made a big deal out of it when he did go.

I don't think it's bad to wait. It may make it a much easier transition when you do decide to start.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would say start right away. Kids these days pick-up really quick. I care for 2 girls and a little boy, they all are 2 and they all are training. I started with my daughter when she was 15mths and shes a master now. The other children copy what she does and there parents are surprised at how quick they kids caught on. Just reward them with stickers and other inexpensive gifts.

I feel its a little weird changing a 3yr olds diaper/pullup. By that time they can tell you everything so going to the potty shouldn't be a problem. Far as communicating pot-pot or boo-boo are easy to say or you can take him to the potty like every 15 to 20 minutes. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous