Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What legal recourse do parents have with juvenile delinquent son?

My nephew is 15, almost 16, and has been in various facilites for almost 6 years. He was adopted by my SIL and BIL when he was 5 and had a lot of issues that they were dealing with but at 10 he just started running away, getting in trouble, and had to be placed out of their home. Every time he got in trouble after that, his mother would be there to support him, help with whatever she could, talk to the counselors, etc. But my main question is how they can deal with him getting in legal and financial trouble, like having to pay damages for stuff he did and the court saying because he's underage, his parents will be responsible for it. At what point can they say, we are no longer responsible for what he does and how can they "emancipate" him or whatever? This is having a serious affect on my SIL's health and her marriage and her younger daughter, too. Any suggestions from mothers WHO HAVE DEALT WITH SIMILAR SITUATIONS AND KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT would be greatly appreciated.

Answer Question

Asked by ceallaigh at 11:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 24 (19,921 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • sorry. hire a good lawyer?

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • We have kids like that in my 20 year old neice who was always in trouble just socked her grandma and gave her two black eyes....the nephew was never in trouble as a child, just a typical boy, but once he moved back with his single mother, he has been in and out of many correctional facilities....actually now at 21 he is a sounds like its time for military school, boot camp, or have the kid stay with a "tough relative" who won't put up with the kid's crap....maybe child services should be called. It is a hard thing to do at first, but in the long run, the kid will be better off and so will your SIL and BIL.....its not fair for their marriage, they deserve a fighting chance...and this kid is obviously not coming around fast enough....

    Answer by HELP767 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • Get an attorney.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • Honestly, I would vote for letting us put them in a medically induced comma until they are 26.

    Answer by salexander at 1:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • They can turn him over to the state.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • If they relinquish customer to the county or the state, they'll still be responsible for paying for the damages he did and also they'll have to pay child support.

    Comment by ceallaigh (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • They adopted him but now they don't want to be his parents or be responsible for him anymore. I thought adoption was as permanent as giving birth.

    Answer by onethentwins at 6:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • They've stuck with their son for years of therapy, institutions, etc., etc. They've been there for him every step of the way and he refuses to cooperate or even try. That was understandable when he was 10 but he's almost 16 and almost a man and it's time for him to act like it. The fact that he's adopted is actually irrelevant. They've refused to disrupt the adoption because they will always consider him their son. What they're looking for is some advice on how to handle his continuing legal and financial issues before they end up bankrupt and divorced. If he had been born to them and doing the same thing, we'd be at the same point.

    Comment by ceallaigh (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • The only recourse they have is to hire a lawyer and see what they say.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • Let him go to jail. He's old enough to take responsibility for his actions.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.