Can someone explain to me why the Republicans want the tax break for the wealthy?

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing here, I just don't understand it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, they tell everyone it's because lower taxes for the upper 2% and large corporations results in job creation for the rest of us. However, they've had these tax breaks since about 2003 and we've been bleeding jobs all this time. It may result in job creation but the jobs are not in this country. Actually, rather then the old "tax breaks result in jobs" thing, I believe it is aimed FAR more at keeping the upper 2% and the large corporations happy regardless of the effect on everyone else. Remember these are the ones that contribute VERY LARGE amounts of money to the individual politcal campaigns...They don't give that money without expecting some big paybacks in the form of tax breaks, trade laws, etc that will benefit them, regardless of how it affects the rest of the country. They expect a great deal in return for those contributions and they generally get it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Because most politicians fall under that tax bracket. Why wouldn't they want to give themselves a tax break?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Can you explain to me why the dems want a tax break for everyone EXCEPT the wealthy? It goes both ways. I am in agreement with the Anon poster who said all people should be taxed equally. Anyone who WORKS to pay their taxes should all receive the same breaks as the other.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Where's the "like" button for this one? =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• The more money the wealthy class has, the more they can invest in businesses and the economy.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Several reasons!

When you tax the ass out of the "rich" then they don't spend as much. That is a problem is a flaky economy. The "rich" typically are business owners and investors. If they are being taxed to death that is going to trickle down to the middle class. Those cost have to be paid for some how.

I personally believe in a flat rate tax. I think everyone should be taxed equally. People shouldn't be punished just because they've made smart decisions in education and business that have put them on top of the pay scale.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You can't give tax breaks to people who don't pay taxes.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Who says that OP?

Everyone has had to make cut backs in this economy, including the "rich." Don't you think those cut back would be GREATER if we tax them beyond belief?

The middle class makes up for the over whelming majority of the country. The middle class isn't spending as much because money has become tight for many middle class families.

You can't expect the "rich" to make up for all the spending the middle class isn't doing but you CAN expect it to get worse if they don't keep tax cuts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Because Obama's sliding definition of wealthy includes most small business owners.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• They don't want a tax break for the wealthy, they want a tax break for everybody.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010