How long should a virus last?

My baby is 4 1/2 months old. He was colic but was gradually & consistently getting better. Until about a week and a half ago he reverted back so far he was almost worse than he was at his worst part of colic. He always slept good at night and now he is horrible. I've had him to the doc and he said it may be some reflux so we put him on pepcid and he said to come back if he's not better in a couple of days. He's has been spitting up more and not eating well at all (hasn't eaten but an ounce since 2 am and its now almost 12pm.) The pepcid doesn't seem to be working so i'm thinking its a virus that he caught from my older boy and us. How long do viruses usually last in babies because a week and a half seems to be an awful long time. Should I give it more time or take him back to the doc?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What kind of virus? There are a lot of viruses out there! Stomach virus? Cold virus?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Not a cold virus. I guess stomach
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would be more concerned about him not drinking, Watch for dehydration 2 oz in 10 hours is not alot.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 10:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• 24 - 48 hours

Answer by admckenzie at 10:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Take him back to the doctor or emergency room, if he refuses to eat. It sounds like your not sure how much food he is actually getting. Hope he gets better.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 1:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010