Your baby can read ...

Has anyone actually used this? Was it worth the investment?

bseastrand

Asked by bseastrand at 11:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• (cont) If your child is ready and interested in exploring pre-reading and early literacy skills - there are much easier, age-appropriate not to mention cheaper ways to do so. ;) I have two early readers by their own choice. My son was 2 1/2. My DD was 3. We had no special systems. We simply read to them daily. We played games with letter sounds. We sang a lot. We watched their interest and we moved in that direction. When DS was fascinated by the sounds letters made, we made up games that helped him expand upon that - even something like "I spy something that starts with the letter B. B sounds like Buh. Buh, Buh, B. Right! The ball! Ball starts with B. Buh-all." When we read, we ran our fingers under each word and paced ourselves slow enough for him to follow along without going so slow that we lost story continuity. In his own time, he began to recognize sights and how to sound out words he didn't know.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• No, it doesn't work. It teaches memorization rather than reading. If you read to your kids the same amount of time as the videos you'll get better results.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have the entire set and just havent gotten around to use it yet. weve lost the books and cards for it and only have the discs now. I know a few Moms who would swear by the your baby can read system. So Im eager to finally find out...
    ModernMommie

Answer by ModernMommie at 11:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• There may well be completely unintended side effects that do not become clear until there is a large enough crowd of children with whatever problem it is, and it's traced back to this...

When teachers and priests decided it was bad for people to be left-handed, and forced them to use their right hands, that was considered fine and dandy (a little torture is good for kids so they don't get any silly ideas about getting their own way...) until the middle of the last century when there was finally a large enough cohort of children who had been forced to swap handedness and the connection was made to suttering.

There is a reason you didn't go to school with 7 stutterers --and it is because the practice was stopped.

What, do you suppose, the 'completely unrelated' issues might be by presenting babies with reading activities years before their brains are ready? Because no one has any idea at all... yet.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We did not use it because frankly I considered it a waste of good money. Reading requires a set of developmental milestones to be met and specific neurological connections be made. Pushing a child to make them before they are developmentally ready just creates frustrated parents and children. Further, studies indicate that early reading does *not* indicate future academic success. In many (although not all) cases early readers leveled off to be on the same or similar plane as their peers by the 3rd grade. In other words, pushing a child to reach early academic milestones is likely a short-term gain. On the other hand, if a child is interested in learning and shows signs of readiness, encouraging that interest and providing tools for them to develop it is fantastic. I just wouldn't worry about pushing my infant or toddler to read to say I could if he or she wasn't already indicating a willingness and readiness.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2010