i thought people knew better... Do you guys do this??

Brooklyn infant dies after being given drug store cough medicine

By Matthew Lysiak and Rocco Parascandola
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Originally Published:Friday, December 3rd 2010, 8:54 AM
Updated: Friday, December 3rd 2010, 11:27 AM
The death of 4-month-old Daniel Richardson, believed to be an accident, left his aunt Patricia who administered the medicine stunned.
Photodisc

A Brooklyn infant stopped breathing and died shortly after his aunt gave him over-the-counter cough medicine, a police source said Friday morning.

The death of 4-month-old Daniel Richardson, believed to be an accident, left his aunt Patricia stunned.

"I was the one who gave the baby the medicine, and I'm the one being investigated," she said through tears. "I can't believe this happened. I didn't do anything wrong. "I don't know. I gave the baby medicine. I was baby-sitting. I don't know."

Police responded to the family's Greene Ave. home in Bushwick at about 6:45 p.m. Thursday. When they arrived, Daniel was unconscious.

EMS workers rushed the infant to Woodhull Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

In 2007, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said parents should not give over-the-counter cold medicine to children younger than 2 without first asking a doctor because such medicines can have adverse reactions.

The aunt said that other than a cough, Daniel did not have any medical issues. It was not immediately clear if Daniel's family had consulted a doctor about the medicine.

A home health aide who cares for a relative of Daniel's said that when she last saw him on Monday he "was happy and healthy."

"He was laughing and smiling," the aide said. "I don't know how this could have happened."

An autopsy will determine the cause of the baby's death. The aunt was interviewed as part of normal police procedures, but a source said the death appears to be an accident.

rparascandola@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/12/03/2010-12-03_brooklyn_infant_dies_after_being_given_drug_store_cough_medicine.html#ixzz174ICYuWc

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 11:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I never gave my infants cough medicine unless it was prescribed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've never given my daughter cough medicine and she's two. I guess some people just aren't well informed and don't have the common sense to know kids that young can't have medicine unless it's Children's Tylenol or prescribed by a doctor.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• A lot of people who haven't had a new baby in the last few years don't know that you can't give cough medicine to kids under 2. It's really sad.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I wouldnt give cough medicine to a 4month old
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My kids were never sick enough for that kind of thing til they were older, but to be honest I don't know that I would think twice about it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Prescribing the medicine doesn't stop some people from having contrary reactions. For example, there is talk of pulling codeine off the market because some people are 'fast metabolizers' who convert it to morphine in their bodies very quickly (it is supposed to happen, just slowly) which can kill... and there is no way to test for it, so you get to find out you're a fast metabolizer by overdosing on morphine.

It's interesting that someone's being investigated for something that simply would never have happened to 98 out of 100 people... but the manufacturers (who have long known about this) aren't.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Wow! I would never give my DD cough medicine at that age. I dislike even giving my DD her prescribed medication, because it seems like everyday another medication is being recalled for some reason or other. Just, Wow!
    ModernMommie

Answer by ModernMommie at 12:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• This is a knowledge error, certainly not planned and malicious behavior. I once cared for a 4 year old who was a "near" death by cough syrup-was resuscitated and brought to the PICU where she eventually died. Sad story................. Babies (under 6 mos) should not be given anything without MD instruction.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i wouldn't give my 8 month old cough medicine either. i would use a humidifier or a nebulizer with saline to help. i was very reluctant to use a prescribed steriod with her when she got this bronchial illness. i was scared to death something might happen to her.
    it's very sad that this happen. i sure hope that it was one teaspoon or less..otherwise she might end up jailed for involuntary manslaughter or something like that if it seen as too much meds were given.
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• When my kids were babies/toddlers I NEVER gave them any meds unless the doctor prescribed it or in over the counter meds (cough syrup, pain/fever meds) the doctor gave the 'ok' to do so. Even now when my kids are sick I check the medicine bottles to see what the age restrictions are and dosage before I dose them with it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2010