Demodectic Mange!!!!

Hey Ya'll. Simple question..asking for answers. All answers are appreciated.

My mother in law has a little 1 year old Yorkie that she's giving to us. She can't take care of her because she works full time.

Bella got an outbreak of mange and it was pretty bad (red mange..not sarcoptic). She's taken her to the vet and the dog is on medication and received medicated baths. But the mange isn't really going away.

Have any of experienced mange in your pet? I'm thinking that maybe the fact that she isn't around to give her baths consistently and treat the pet consistently is the reason its not going away entirely.

I was also reading online about Apple Cider vinegar and how that could help...

Anything anyone knows about this would help! I've read that they could grow out of it also?

HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Pets

• i'd call the vet :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• She does have an apointment tomorrow to see whats going on. So hopefully they will have more answers. I"m just seeing if anyone has experience with it! lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It can take weeks or sometimes months to get rid of demodex. Dogs can get rid of demodex on their own. The healthier the food you feed your dog, the easier it will be for her immune system to get rid of the demodex. Of course the dips and medication help get rid of it faster, so I would make sure you are consistently following your vets instructions.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Also, just because she has mange doesn't mean she is dirty or her parents were dirty. All dogs can carry mange without it causing them problems, but dogs with weaker immune systems (puppies, malnourished dogs) can have reactions to it. Her mother probably had it and passed it to her as a puppy.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've been reading that all dogs have mange...and that yes...her immune system is underdeveloped. I also have suspicion that my mom in law is not doing all she can to rid her of it. I'm not sure what kind of food she's eating and I'm not sure how often she's being bathed in the medication. I plan to do it perfectly though! lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Good luck, I'm glad you will be taking care of her. Alot of people dump dogs off at the shelter if they get mange.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Our dog had it when we got her and it took a few months with treatment for it to go away. I wanna say it took like 6 months. Good luck
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yes, many pups get demodex, their immune systems are not complete.

The vet will usually give a shot and dip the dog, usually it takes several dips to clear up the problem. In older, senior dogs it can be a real sign for bigger problems as it does indicate the immune system is not functioning as well as it should.

You can do a home mixture of hydrogen peroxide, water and borax in place of the medicated dips. It works, but you need to repeat every few days for several weeks, and use a good moisturizing coat conditioner in between these applications.
    8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide,4 cups warm water,8 tablespoons of 20 Mule Team Borax.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• good luck and i agree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2010