Why don't school buses have to have seat belts?

It's the law right? And they are some of the most unsafe vehicles. And they carry precious cargo. Soemone help me understand this please.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I asked that same question at my daughters school and they told me that they are not required because the seats are high ... !!!!! What that has to do with anything i dont know, but that was the answer i got FROM THE SCHOOL !!! (crazyyy)
    StaciMarkRep

Answer by StaciMarkRep at 12:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've wondered the same thing.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• When I was in high school, I asked the bus driver the same question.
    He said its because the seats are so high in front of you.

Doesn't make much sense, does it?
    I am going to homeschool, but if my LO's went to public school I'd carpool.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Like that article says it's the way they're designed. We always talked about it while I was in school and riding the bus. You know what kids would do with those seatbelts IF they did exist on them? Since the driver has to keep his eye on the road as much as possible he wouldn't be able to actually make sure they were all wearing them and then the kids would just use them to hit and harm each other. I know it's not a good reason but it's what we came up with in junior high lol.
    BrynlysMommy

Answer by BrynlysMommy at 12:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've always wondered that too!!!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• idk why planes have seatbelts..if they crash you're more than likley gonna die so why have a seatbelt? the bus needs them more than an airplane! that's why my kids will not ride a bus :) well that's one reason
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• lots still do, but in a commercial vehicle, like a bus or cab, you dont have to wear any seat belts
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't understand either, especially when I've seen most bus crashes involved rollovers and kids flying over the high seats and getting head injuries.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 12:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I remember 26 years ago when I was in K we did have seat belts on our buses. On our way home one day a girl in my class was trying to take hers off. She hit the metal clip so hard into her mouth in the process that she knocked a tooth out. I still remember all of the blood. The next day all of the seat belts had been cut out of the buses.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 12:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It is because the seats are high and so in most situations the kids just bump into the seat in front of them and carry on. If you look at the stats there are very few bus accidents and very limited injuries. Additionally, schools absolutely do not have the funds necessary to hire bus supervisors to ensure that kids are keeping the seat belts on and that they are being used properly. The bus driver absolutely cannot be responsible for ensuring that kids have seat belts on. When little kids (preschool) ride the bus and many sped they do have seat belts/ five point harnesses though.

Additionally, the reason that planes have them is not really in the event of crashing from way up in the sky to the ground, it's for turbulence while in the air and issues while taking off and landing.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2010