Forced conversion?

Should people who do not trust those around them to treat their family and children with respect if they publicly admit to not being a Christian be forced to convert to Christianity for their own personal comfort? That seems to be the argument being presented in another question and hijacking it completely off point. (orig question here)

Is that why some people do become Christians?  Because it's less uncomfortable than not being one?  Do churches really want people to claim their religion just so they won't be ridiculed, fired or otherwise ostraciszed by other Christians?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Should people who do not trust those around them to treat their family and children with respect if they publicly admit to not being a Christian be forced to convert to Christianity for their own personal comfort?

That is the most ridiculous notion I have ever heard.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My brother (raised heretic, with no baptism of any kind... we never went to church) was pressured into attending church where he currently lives (mid-west). He claims it's easy to evade any questions about belief if you show up in the building regularly, stand up, sit down, do the singing. That is: people believe he believes because, well, otherwise why would he be there? Seriously --what a lack of imagination.

This is also a part of the world where you will not be hired, and may well be fired (at-will state) because you don't adhere to the faith the employer deems normal and natural.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Sir Stephen Henry Roberts
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• But Linda, should that be what is expected of all non-Christians to survive in this country?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would never push my family or friends to believe what I believe. I can accept any loving caring person into my life, it doesn't matter to me what their spiritual beliefs are. I think we spend too much time trying to place everyone in an appropriate cubbie hole  and we need to spend more time just learning to value people more.  This isn't just a christian thing I get plenty of judgements placed on me by people of other beliefs,  because of what I believe.  Judge less love more.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Nothing forced is ever good or will ever last.

Answer by older at 12:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Let's say forced conversion becomes SOP. To whose "flavor" of Christianity are you required to convert? The national majority? The local one? Whichever one contacts you first? Or.. maybe it'll be like the NFL draft - and non-Christians will be contacts by various church scouts to try to convert the most profitable new members in the area?

Personally, I'm not a christian anymore, haven't been for a long time. But I also know in what situations it's simply better to be silent than to start a nasty debate. Being outnumbered is one of them.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• What a refreshing question! Not. I am not so shallow that I became a christian because of what others thought or forced.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I am not so shallow that I became a christian because of what others thought or forced.

Psst. It's not always about you.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That would be my guess. After all, the christian god is SOOOO stupid and naive, he doesn't know the difference between who's really following him and who's faking it. (snark-snark!!) I just don't discuss it with most of my family. They say grace. I sit there quietly counting the tiles on the dining room ceiling. They praise god that he healed them. I think to myself, "Well, he should, since he's the one who made you sick in the first place!" They prefer to be superstitious, weak-minded fools believing in fairy tales. I prefer to take truth and evidence on its own merit.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it's unfortunate that A LOT of people seem to feel that they have to say they are Christian, so their Christian friends and family don't judge them. I've talk to several friends who have different views from the rest of their families, but they're afraid to speak up about it or when they do they are put down for their beliefs and questions. I have never pretended to be Christian once I decided I wasn't, but I usually feel more comfortable avoiding the topic IRL and often dodge questions when I can or I'm very vague in my answers. If pressed to discuss something further or if someone seems genuinely interested my thoughts, I do mind sharing idea and even friendly debate. If I feel like it's more of an attack, then I tell them I'm not comfortable discussing it. My beliefs are my own, and it's my choice if I was talk to others about them or not.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010