is it tacky to buy christmas gifts at garage sales?

I have 7 neices and nephews to buy for and I dont have a lot of cash since I am unemployed. If I find clothes that are in great condition, can I buy them and give them as gifts for Christmas - ofris that just tacky?

Tonesgirl

Asked by Tonesgirl at 12:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Holidays

• I think as long as they are not bad looking and show no signs that they are from there it's for kids . Toys and clothes probably are perfectly fine .
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 12:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I say keep doing it
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• As long as they look somewhat new they will never know.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 12:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I can't imagine why it would matter where you purchase gifts. I believe people care the most about what they get, not where it comes from.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think the fact that your making a genuine effort to get gifts for that many children when you are unemployed is very sweet and they (or the parents rather) should be gratefuland appreciative, no matter where the gift came from.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• awh thank you ctink
    Tonesgirl

Comment by Tonesgirl (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It depends on how your family feels about this. I know my family wouldn't be happy about it, yes I know, I love my family too, sigh. If your family doesn't have a problem then its fine. If you think they might then just buy something at the dollar store or something for about the same price. That way they know your making an effort but at least its new.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I do it all the time. 1 yr. I hit all the after Christmas sales. Bought everybodys Christmas 4 the next yr & spent less then $50. So if u can find a deal get it. No 1 will mind as long as they look ok. I got all my sons winter clothes at 1 yard sale, spent less then $15 & they all look brand new.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Sometimes, at garage sales and in thrift stores, I find items that are still new - tags still attached and still shrink-wrapped.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010