Spread the wealth

Do you believe in spreading the wealth?

thewife1

Asked by thewife1 at 4:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not sure everyones definition of "spreading the wealth". I believe everyone should have health insurance and food. I believe financial welfare should have a time limit but we should give them the support they need to make better choices for their families. Many people have grown up thinking welfare is the way to live and they need to be "reprogrammed". It will take some time. Also we need more affordable homes being built. If all that's available to buy are expensive mcmansions, only the rich will get ahead
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No. I believe in sharing, but it should be our decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Could you be more specific? American's have always spread the wealth to some degree, through taxes.
    And it's hardly ever been our decision, Anon. We elect representatives to make decisions for us. That's how our government functions. Do you have any idea how long our ballots would be if we had a say in the distribution of all of this country's funds?
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 6:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No, I dont believe in it. Why should I give my hard earned money to some who works a minium amount of hours (if at all) when I work 50+ hours a week for what I got! Thats is why there are charties that I donate too. Last yr alone I donated over 10,000 to 3 different charties, I like to see where my money is going and being put to good use. JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• CluelessCarrie Americans have not always spread the wealth. These social welfare spread the wealth programs did not start until Roosevelt's presidency when he instituted the Federal Reserve and Income Tax. Taxes prior to that were ad valorem taxes (property), sales tax, and import and export taxes. Taxing our income is not actually legal, but try telling the IRS that. So no this spread the wealth idea is "new" in that it has only existed in the past 90 years or so. And to answer the question no I do not believe in spread the wealth. The few should not have to work hard so that the majority can sit at home and watch tv. If you don't work then you don't eat. Charities are to fill the place of helping those in need. Now people use charity and the government to support themselves. It isn't right.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 7:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• And on the issue of our representatives, they are supposed to vote with the wishes of their constituents. If their constituents don't follow nor understand what Congress is doing and contact their Congressmen with their opinion then the Congressman has no choice but to vote whichever way they choose. The people of thise country are as much to blame for its state of affairs because they are too lazy to pick up a phone and make a phone call or send an email to let their Congressmen now what they think about a bill. If your Congressmen doesn't hear your voice until election time how are they supposed to know what you wish for them to do. And then most are corrupt anyway (like mine) and don't care what you think. That is when they need to be gotten rid of and voted out.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 7:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Absolutely not! Why should people who have struggled and worked to get where they are support those who have not? TO be a "helping people" ???????? How about helping yourself. ?????? I am a firm believer in helping those that help themselves. Not to those who help themsleves to handouts. Even with the spread the wealth, the poor are still going to be poor, the rich are still going to be rich.
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 8:01 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No, I do not agree with it.

I have worked hard, paid my own way through college working 3 jobs at times(no handouts), built my business to be my own while my husband has served this country for 16.5 years. Now when we are just getting to the point where I may make a decent profit (but still paying on the business loans and personal loans to get here) added to that my hubby's hard work serving his country~ in comes the ideals of Spreading the Wealth. I don't like it one bit...

We donate 3x's more money to chraity then Obama and Biden combined..

We may have to stop doing caring giving because of mandatory "taking"...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• luvmybabieskna, I never specifically mentioned income tax. Yes, we have been taxed since before we were even a country. Nothing new about that. Atleast FDR introduced social programs that actually help YOU and everyone else, such as the FDIC, Social Security, minimum wage, child labor laws and regulations on the length of the work week.
    And your Congressman has a choice whether you write "him" or not. That's why there are lobbyists and special interest groups. Sure, you can vote them out, but you'll probably be voting in another one who does exactly the same thing.
    BTW, that's awfully narrow-minded to think that anyone who is not as well off as you is just sitting home watching TV. What about the chronically ill, injured, or mentally disabled? Are you sick of them getting a free ride?
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 9:32 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I believe that we work, pay taxes (which supports infrastructure and some social programs) and we ALL have a responsibility to help when we can. If it's with money, so be it. If it's with time, that's great too. There are all sorts of ways to volunteer for things if donating isn't possible. I think it's unfortunate that the upper class is burdened with a massively high tax rate (all the haters that aren't in the upper class - please read on). They work hard for their money and should be able to keep more than they do. They also donate the most to charity, so even while they are taxed at the higher rate many of them are gracious enough to recognize that others that aren't so fortunate go without, so they donate.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2008