am I just bing a witch?

so I am unemployed now - so of course I do more now to take care of the house, but does that mean that I have to do ALL OF IT by muself? I feel guilty asking for help, but am I really to do it all??? or is my hubby not expected to do anything now on the weekends/

Tonesgirl

Asked by Tonesgirl at 12:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• depends on if your raising kids or not. he should still do some chores that are left to men but i think for the most part that the women should help lift the burdens that are in the home. since she is the one there able to do it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm a SAHM by choice and I don't do everything around the house. My husband mops the floors and cleans the bathroom because those are the two chores I absolutely hate. Luckily I don't have to ask him to do it because he does it willingly. He says I do too much around the house and it's the least he can do to give me a break. :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Depends... when you say 'could you give me a hand, here' do you say 'thank you' or 'finally'?

What your husband expects, and what you expect, are other issues. I know a lot of people who expect to spend most of the time they're home doing some kind of housework, yardwork, maintenance, vehicle care... they, not surprisingly, have very nice homes and well-kept yards. I don't.

Because I don't expect to spend most of my time working --anywhere. And, since I don't expect my husband to, either... our house gets messier and messier until we tidy it up, probably less often than once a month (only one child left at home, and a lot of the clutter is from her many activities). I am nuts about the hygiene of things that matter (foods that won't be cooked, etc.) but understand germ theory and don't brush my teeth with toilet water, so I don't attempt to sanitize much.

You could talk to him about it...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• When my husband is not away working he usually helps with taking the trash out and helping me fold clothes oh and doing dishes with me at times and I don't ask so I appreciate it

Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 12:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Depends... but he could try to make things easier on you by picking up after himself or entertaining the kids while you are working.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 12:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I am a SAHM and I pretty much do all of the cleaning chores, I do all of the cooking, laundry, dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, bathrooms, etc. DH takes care of the upkeep outside-shoveling snow, mowing the lawn and general upkeep. He offers to clean the bathrooms but I insist that I should do it, he works long hours away from his home and family and I have time to get it done while he is gone so I think that I should be the one to do it-that is just how our deal works out. I am not upset by this and I feel like my husband does his share by working so hard so I am able to stay home.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I am a WAHM and my house rule is 'if you live here you help keep it clean'. Granted I am home 24/7 so I do most of the tidying up and general cleaning each day. My kids are expected to pick up after themselves, they have a few chores that they do, and my hubs help out around the house and has certain chores that he does as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I dont mind doing all of the normal things, but he wont help with the christmas lights, taking out trash, ect. I just hate him seeing something that he could easily do quickly - and will ignore it thinking well Erin has nothing better to do I will leave it for her. Really? the trash is over flowing and you just walked by....blah!
    Tonesgirl

Comment by Tonesgirl (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• There is no reason why he shouldn't be helping some, even if it is only taking out the trash. I'm a SAHM and my honey helps out alot without me asking, because he feels I do so much to take care of the kids, cooking and cleaning. In fact, he defrosted the freezer the other day, since I haven't had the time to do it.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 12:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't ask hubby to do anything around the house as far as cooking, cleaning. etc. He does the yard work and fixes things when they break (and is currently doing a lot of reno work). He probably would if I asked him to, but I feel like since I am home all of the time it's not a big deal for me to take care of it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010