Does anyone have any money saving tips when food shopping ??

StaciMarkRep

Asked by StaciMarkRep at 12:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Buy what you know your family will eat. Doesn't matter if it's on sale or not. What is worse, saving money because it's on sale and throwing it out because no one eats it or spending a little extra on what people will eat and not throwing the food out? Also, use coupons. Watch for coupons from the grocery store that offer free or discounted products for spending a certain amount. Right now, Piggly Wiggly in my city has 4 coupons for bread, bacon, water, eggs....all cheap for a separate $5 purchase. Last week it was milk and ground chuck.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• First and foremost do not go grocery shopping when you are hungry! Have a menu planned for the week and stick to those items, and finally coupons, look for them in the store and in the newspaper and on line.

Answer by older at 12:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I get the circular in the mail on Friday's...I scour it for what's on sale that week and plan my menu for the following week around it...for example if split chicken breasts are on sale, I'll plan on making a big pot of chicken soup, some chicken salad and a roasted chicken dinner that week. If green peppers are on sale, we'll have stuffed peppers and fajitas that week, etc. I also stock up on any great deals...when club soda is 3 for $2.00 I buy 9 of them....I also use whatever coupons I have ONLY for things I am going to buy anyway....but we don't get the newspaper, so its mostly the in store coupons.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Not sure if you have an Aldi (grocery chain) near you but I cut my bill in about half by shopping there. I also make meals and then freeze them so I can pull them out later.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Definitely plan your meals in advance. This way you can make a list of only the things you need and stick to it. Look through the circulars and see what is on special that you normally would buy. This means meat,chicken, eggs, cheese. I don't buy cookies because they are on sale. I rather buy the ingredients that I can also use for other things and make my own cookies.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 2:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yep I do the bulk of my grocery shopping at Aldi. I rarely go into regular grocery stores. I also shop u-pick farms and farmers markets in the Spring, summer and fall and stock up on seasonal food. I'll freeze it, preserve it, can it, etc. I do the same with my own garden every year. I manage to grow enough tomatoes to make my own ketchup and sauce for the year, plus sun dried tomatoes, salsa, and freezing diced tomatoes for soups....as well as other vegetables like onions, garlic, squash, peppers, eggplant brocoli, etc....I also grow strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. I'm expanding to mushrooms and wheat this year.

I don't have a huge amount of land....about a quarter of an acre, but it's enough if planned smart to have a large garden.

I stretch meats....there is no reason to use more than 1 pound of beef or chicken in a meal for 2-4 people. It can stretch with veggies and healthy carbs like brown rice.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Make what you can from scratch. I avoid margarines and spreads...sometimes for time saving i'll buy regular butter, but I typicaly get cream from a local organic dairy farm and MAKE my own butter, it does save money and it tastes so fresh and good, it puts the store bought stuff to shame. I make breads, cookies, cakes, rolls, and such from scratch. I don't like making pasta, and being a diabetic one splurge is the dreamfields brand pasta for myself.....because it absorbs slower and effects my blood sugar less.

But make a meal plan and stick to it when you go shopping. If you buy things like juice boxes, get a plastic reusable "juice box" and by the big container of juice and have double the juice.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Cut coupons cut coupons cut coupons!!!
    NE1outthere

Answer by NE1outthere at 6:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2010