do you smoke but your SO doesnt?

so your SO wants you to stop smoking - and for good cause - but do they really understand how hard it is? I dont have med insurance so I cant get the fancy meds for help...any suggestions?

Tonesgirl

Asked by Tonesgirl at 12:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Health

• i am a smoker and my hubby does it every so often. lately he's been smoking with me everyday but not as much as i do, he's addicted to dip *bleck*! we're both resolving to quit for new year's. if we both do it together it may be more effective. you can take any drug, chew any gum, but you will never quit until you actually want to quit. it's more of a will power thing. good luck to you!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I was a smoker when me and my husband met 14 years ago - he was never a smoker but had basically been on my ass about it since the 2nd year we were dating..the smell, the health reasons and NO, he never understood how hard it was... He would just say "just don't smoke, how hard is that - don't take a cigarette from the pack- who is strong, you or a stupid cigarette" to which I would want to punch him, I tried and failed which made him get on me more and more each time.. It took ME having to be ready which was when I got pregnant.. when our son was colic I started again - then 1-1/2 years ago, he got skin cancer and that's how his Aunt died, I thought, SHIT, someone has to be around for our son.. it didn't "Click" til then how serious this is... It has been 14 months since I have smoked.. i did it cold turkey though since all the other nicorette gums and patches were crazy expensive and really never worked ...cont'd
    Anonymous

• for me anyway -oops.. didn't mean to be anon either.. anyway, Cold turkey, its a fight every moment of the day and I did gain 15 lbs and still I have to talk myself out of buying them during stressful times and car rides were the worst.. but you will never get through to a non-addict about how hard it is - get some stats like its harder than cocaine and herion -that helped my husband "get it" a little more. good luck !! its very hard to do
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010