Getting a gun in the home with young children around. Can you recommand one?

My husband wants me to get a gun in the home and I have never agreed because I hate guns but recent activities have lead me to want to get one. I have to take classes of coarse and find out proper ways to store the gun with kids around. I am a small framed short girl so I was wondering if anyone that owns a gun can recommend one that is very affective but also won't throw me back if I ever have to us it.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Get a Super Soaker and fill it with ammonia. There's no way I'd get a real gun in the house if I had small children.
    Anonymous

• My SO bought a ruger 22/38 and it is lightweight, easy to hold and has very little kick. I am small and I prefer this one over all the others.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 12:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• to anon and kerp1960 Some people live in small rural towns with the nearest police force 40 mins away, so its necessary to protect yourself if no one else can help if a crackhead busts through your door
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• 9mm is always good, stay away from machine or automatic guns they just spray bullets everywhere. with your kids you probably shouldnt get a shot gun either.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh I agree ANON. A super soaker, or a big dog. I hate guns.
    OF COURSE ( not of COARSE)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I hope you never face a home invasion where the parties intend to shoot, rape or whatever you.

Geeze. Why not teach freaking gun safety to the kids? I grew up with a loaded gun on a rack in my home. I NEVER felt compelled in the least to touch it. I was taught about guns and allowed from age two to shoot a .22. My son grew up kind of around it and yet, was taught enough to know not to touch them. WHY do people insist that kids ARE going to pick up guns and play? Those stories you hear about are from kids that weren't taught a thing, the gun was always hidden and never discussed. I have yet to EVER see a home with kids who are taught properly have a gun accident and the guns are right in the open and loaded.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• How many kids way back in the day do you think shot their friends or themselves? That's right, NONE. They got to carry guns hunting by themselves at age 10.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I am sure tony has lots of rec for cody....

I personally love the walther p22 it handels really well and its light and has no kick..
    Also the walther 380 is good as will. Both have wonderful safety features on the gun.. My next gun purchase will be the lavender lady its .38 and its a revovler the safety is non exisit on the gun but the hammer takes some time to pull back on.
    My husband has a XDM9mm and that is a really nice gun but for me it was kind hard getting use to shooting but a little practice will help.

As for storage we keep them locked away from the kids. Tony also teaches the children about the guns as well. Educate yourself and your children on them as well. I would suggestion target practice before you purchase that way you know which gun you want. Go to a gun store and you can test them out there.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You can also get a shot gun. It is the best well known sound to get the hell out of my house..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 3:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it depends a lot of preference, seems there are so many choices.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010