Why is there a Bible belt?

I live in OK, so I am part of the Bible belt, but why does it exist? If you live in the Bible belt do you feel a strong Christian presents or does it even exist anymore?

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's just the area of the country where the more "zealous" Christian groups are and where there is the highest amount of active Christians... It's not really a good or bad thing, it's just the way it works.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Boy does it ever exist. It's not exactly a "belt" like people imagine. It extends up through Kentucky and Indiana to rural Michigan, and over into Ohio and West Virginia/Virginia, then back down to encompass the south. And yes, the presence is unfortunately strong. I live on the IN/MI border in a town where you will be fired for being the wrong religion, and your kids will be bullied and possibly beaten if their classmates find out they aren't Christian (or are gay).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It's just a nickname given to a section of the country where the Uber religious socially conservative evangelism runs rampant. It's not like someone sanctioned a specific area as "The bible belt" and the religious moved there. The nickname merely grew out of the demographics of the area.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• To hold up bible pants?
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it is because farmers pray a lot (for rain, no tornados, etc.) and the Bible belt is in farm country.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I live in the "bible belt" but I think there are as many churches here than when I lived in CA. I just think there may be more "mega-churches". Also, I think you'll find more conservative Christians in the belt.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i dunno, never thought about it...but it seems to be more of a blob than a belt. i live in OK too and its most definitely Bible Belt material haha. the South has always been very religious and they just moved West (bringing their values with them) as it "opened up" to settlement. i also think it has a lot to do with where the majority of Baptists are located...theres a lot of em in the Bible Belt.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Fried Chicken and Sunday Church just goes well together.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm a very proud resident of the Bible Belt, and plan to live my life out here! Oh,and it's also a really neat song by Travis Tritt for the movie, "My Cousin Vinny."
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh,and I would agree with the other answers, it's just the demographics,and location would be my guess.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2010