Has anyone elses kid dropped down the entire growth chart?

My kids grow so weird, I just don't get it. I'm not worried about it, I know my daughter is healthy. But she is 3 and just had her check up. They measured her at 34 1/4 in tall, which is about the 3rd percentile. This is a child who as a baby was at one point the 90th percentile in height, as a 26 in. long 4 month old. I think they probably measured her too long when was a baby, and too short now, but they can't be too far off, she has definately dropped significantly. Her weight also dropped, but it did that fast. She was an 8 lb newborn and a 16 lb 1 year old. My boys also dropped, but not as extreme. My older son went from 90th percentile in height and evened out at 50% by 2 years old. His weight went from 75% for the first 3 months, down to 10% by 1 year and then back up to 50%. My baby is growing the same as his big brother. Why do they grow like this? I wish they would start out small if they're going to stay small rather than start out big and not grow. Does anyone else have kids who have grown like this?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son isn't even anywhere close to being on the chart. He's 9 and a half and 40 lbs 42 in tall. Smaller than everyone in his class, more close to the size of some of the 5 or 6 yr olds. He was almost 7 lbs at birth and 17 lbs at 1yr. After that his growth just halted. But its genetic. We are all small. I'm 5ft. My uncles are 5'2 to 5'4, mom and aunts are 4'9 to 5'2. So I wasn't worried. I allowed the Dr to run some bloodwork as a precaution but he's perfect.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You're misunderstanding 'percentile' with 'normal' or even 'growth chart'.

If there were 100 3yos in the room, one of them would be shorter than 97 of them, putting it in the 3rd percentile. This would be true if there are 18" between the tallest and the shortest or less than 1/2 an inch difference between them.

She needs to be growing, healthy, alert, active. As long as she's getting taller...gaining a little weight... maturing... if she's the heaviest or tallest or lightest or shortest (of a group of anonymous white, Germanic mid-western Americans) doesn't matter --because statistically SOMEONE has to be.

When all the people have the same genetic heritage, and all develop at exactly the same speed, then the percentile charts will be anything other than grossly and frequently misunderstood statistical games made to give people something to measure --as if that were important to healthy growth.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• At 3 months my son was OFF the charts because he was so big. From 1-10 years he was at the bottom of the charts. Now he is 14 and back up towards the top of the chart.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• nope! my almost 3 month old weighs more than your dd did at age 1, and he was 8lbs too. all kids grow differently. I'm the proud momma of a 30lb 2 1/2 yr old, 27lb 15 month old, and 17lb 3 month old
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My granddaughter is 5 months old and she weighs 18 pounds.
    My kids started out below the 50th % but ended up above the middle, gaining and growing all the time. They had really good appetites. They were not very hyper...they were calm and didn't run around all the time. In other words, they didn't burn up too many calories. They went UP the growth chart. Feed them more and make sure they are rested and calm.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Mine have done that. Especially my younger two. I think mine are in the lowest percentile possible. They are healthy and happy and developmentally sound. That matters more than size to me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i agree, if your kiddo is healthy and growing there isn't an issue, the charts are just that... charts. not a measure of the health of your child.
    my girls both were born with IUGR, they were below 10% for growth on the fetal scale... came out and were below 5% on the baby scale... my oldest was then a 25 pound 6 month old, at 90%... now she's a 29 pound 3 year old... she has gained 4 pounds in nearly 2.5 years... she's down in % again too... her little sister was a 12 pound 6 month old (yes HALF the size of her big sis) and is now a 20 pound 2 year old... honestly SMALLER than her sis was at 6 months...
    BUT they are healthy, happy and doing well... i don't worry. it's just how kids are.
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm not misunderanding percentiles. I'm wondering how many other kids go from being one of the largest babies out of any random group to one of the smallest preschoolers in the same group, And why do my children start out so big when genetically they are destined to be average to small? Do I have gestational diabetes and don't know it? Or is it just something random that happens sometimes.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I also want to reapeat that I'm not worried, she's very healthy, loves to eat, and has had one sick visit to the doctor in her entire life. I'm just wondering.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My family tends to bounce around on the charts depending on growth spurts.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2010