Hardships

I try to keep a positive attitude because being negative is useless, however, lately I find it really hard to keep my head up. I really feel like I've been given the short end of the stick in life and I get tired of trying to better myself, not just for me, but also for my daughter and not going anywhere. Like I've said before, I've missed out on a good education and that hinders everything that I want to do in life. I reach out to organizations that are supposed to help and it seems as though no one is reaching out to me to help me to overcome my situation.

It's easy for outsiders to assume things about you, especially when they're not going through some of the hardships that you are going through, but I can honestly say that I am working towards bettering myself so that I can reach self-sufficiency regardless of what others say about me.

I just want to know how to stay positive and motivated in the midst of adversity?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• I also feel EXACTLY the same way. What I realized a couple of months ago was that I just couldn't bring myself to dwell on my situation and that I HAD to make the best of things. In the morning I say to myself, I'm alive and so is my son. All I can do is go to work today and hope for the best. I feel better about myself when I think "I'm doing the best that I can everyday and no one can take that away from me".

I also struggle with how my son feels about not being able to do anything, then I also realize he too is also going to have to learn how to accept the current situation.

I have tried for state assistance and was told I make too much money. When I heard this, I couldn't let it go, but one day I realized how much this was hurting me and just decided that I had to let it go. I started thinking about it this, they are helping someone else who truly needs the assistance.

I hope I was of some help.
    SirsMom

Answer by SirsMom at 1:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm not sure what your beliefs are but when I am having a hard time I pray and ask God to help with whatever situation I'm going through. Also listening to spritual uplifting music also helps me stay in the positive. Wish you luck.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 1:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• First: what are the gifts you have been given?

Second: what are the riches you're surrounded by?

Third: who are the people who love and appreciate you?

Now... I have a cynical view of the world and of the people in it, so I'm thinking that answering these questions was a lot harder, and took a lot more thought (or you simply refused to do it, dismissing it as 'nothing, none and no one, I wish!') than making what a friend calls the #2 list --the shit in your life.

While you are spending a huge amount of mental energy, voluntarily I might add, focusing on what is wrong, missing and bad about your life, you are NOT finding the positive, uplifting and wonderful aspects. Because you can't do both at once.

And, as you have discovered: what you practice the most diligently, you become the best at.

Like looking at the dark side of life.

I don't know about you, but I feel silly when I find I've been pract
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have the same problem. It helps a little to remind yourself that it could always be worse. At least you have a place to live, food, and your daughter. Those are the most important.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Stop looking at how hard you're trying and not getting in return. Look at and feel good that you're trying! Been in your shoes - hey, still wear a similar pair! I just know when let myself get negative things get even worse! Hand in there!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 2:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Of course you can make a list of all the good things that are going on right now.
    You can also look past the bad stuff- like some day you'll be able to get an education or do this and that. etc.
    Hope things get better for you soon!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010