Diets while breastfeeding?

I want to go on a diet to start losing some more weight, but want to make sure whatever I do it's ok to still breastfeed. What diets am I allowed to do? Any exercises anyone recommends? I can't do any of the diets that you have to pay loads of money for AKA programs.

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 4:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Breastfeeding in itsself is a diet. You burn soooo many calories doing it. My sister lost more weight than ever before when she breastfed her baby. I would just suggest eating super healthy and not only you, but your baby will be healthier for it and it'll help the weight loss for you.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I always learned Breastfeeding is a diet !
    That you burn so many calories just breastfeeding.
    But if you cut out your breads and butter and pasta & junk food after 6:00 pm.
    I am sure then it will really come off fast... Walk,Walk, Walk
    getyoung

Answer by getyoung at 11:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No sweets, no processed food, no heavy meats, fresh vegetables, drink only water (lots of it), juice on occasion, cut out starches as much as possible (only eat whole grains) - eat 6 small meals providing 20 grams of protein per meal. This what I do, and I am steadily losing.

Here's as example of my daily diet:

1. 3 eggs scrambled in 3tbsp butter, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 glass OJ

2. 1 scoop natural chocolate protein with 1 cup whole cow's milk

3. chicken or tuna on a leafy green salad (with other seasonal fresh veggies), water

4. 1 all natural peanut butter and banana sandwich on wheat bread with honey, water

5. Sour cream chicken enchiladas (just an example), with refried beans, shredded lettuce / diced tomatoes, water

6. protein shake or protein bar as needed (protein bars should be avoided as they are processed - but you do what you can with what you have)
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 11:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Breastfeeding CAN burn up to 500 calories a day. Unless you are not eating it is not a diet in itself. It can however help you to lose weight. You just need to eat healthy (fresh fruits and veggies; whole grains; low fat/fat free dairy; protein...etc). If you are really committed then you'll have to cut out all junk food (soda, chips, cookies, the good stuff!) and drink only water. And walking is great exercise that you can do with your baby!
    Charmedmommy82

Answer by Charmedmommy82 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2009