Jehovah's Witnesses

All of this holiday talk has got me wondering why we never hear the thoughts of a Jehovah's Witnesses??? I don't really know a lot about thier faith, but it would be nice to hear how they feel during tis time of year.

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up as one. They do not celebrate anything during this time of year. They are not offended buy others choice to celebrate but choose not to include themselves in school or work events. One reason for not celebrating would be due to pagan roots that were introduced into the holiday. They also do not believe that Jesus was actually born at this time of year. One reason because in the account in the bible there were shepherds in the field attending sheep and that would not happen during the winter months, I know there are others but I have to admit to forgetting them. Also they find that there was no instruction given to celebrate Jesus birthday only to have a remembrance of his death and sacrifice, which they do around what we call Easter although their Memorial is nothing like Easter..
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• ^^Good job and this is what I know. Alot of people assume they do not believe in Jesus because they don't celbrate "Christ"mas but that is NOT true.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't really know anything about what they believe. My cousin is married to one and I know she does not celebrate ANY holiday.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• hi, i actually just signed up for cafemom, so i wanted to say hi all! I'm studying with Jehovah's witnesses and to me Christmas doenst bother me or annoy me in any way. We just dont celebrate melbornj hit it right on the head. my child is calling so i'll talk to u gals later.
    Jordansmommy777

Answer by Jordansmommy777 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yeah, since they don't celebrate, this time of year is probably not all that interesting to them (or maybe even annoying). I know one of my JW friends used to disappear for basically the entire month of December because she did not like being exposed to all the holiday stuff in school and at all of our houses.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I grew up JW. And Melbornj did a very good job.
    JWs strive to live their lives according ONLY to the example of life given in the bible. So unless something is directly commanded or shown to be okay, they do their best to steer clear. When it comes to Holidays they do not believe that Jesus would have participated in Pagan traditions, even for "non-Pagan" reasons, and so they avoid them because they all at least have Pagan roots. They do however have a "holiday" of their own in the Spring on which they celebrate and recreate the Last Supper of Jesus. Why is that celebrated and not others? Because Jesus commanded that his people continue the practice... Basically the idea is if something is biblical or a practice Jesus endorsed, they do as well, however anything else is "off limits."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I was raised JW. They don't celebrate any holidays or birthdays as there are no positive examples of them in the bible. The only things commemorated(sp?) are "the Memorial" of Christ's Last Meal since he instructed that we 'to keep doing this in rememberance of me' & weddings & anniversaries, since marriage is believed to be instituted by God & Jesus celebrated at a wedding,
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010