Am I crazy for wanting to adopt a tween boy

I am looking for a boy to adopt from foster care. Am I crazy? We are looking for (a) boy(s) from 1-12 but most of the boys I have interest in are the older ones.

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 1:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it is wonderful. I have a near teen boy you can borrow for practice.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it's wonderful. My husband works with teens in foster care and they are so desperate for families. You can make such a difference in that child's life. Go for it and bless you!!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yes, you are crazy, and so is my daughter who also wants to adopt a few of the teens she teaches!

Answer by older at 1:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My son is 10 and he has so much character and curiosity, excitement for life, and energy and I think for you to adopt a tween boy is wonderful, because there is a super kid waiting to share his life with a great family too! Older children are no less deserving to be loved than the little ones. Congrats! Best wishes!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think you are brave. Every kid needs love and a home, probably even more so as they get older and their chances of getting stability lessen. Just be sure to educate yourself on the challenges an adopted child will face so you are equipped to deal with it all. I think it is admirable of you. All kids need and deserve love.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It's my understanding that as kids get older their chance of adoption gets smaller and smaller. I think you are brave and wonderful and that all kids deserve a safe and loving home. I think you just need to become well educated and know what you are getting into.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 3:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh and for info I only have experience with girls who are 0-6 lol. I think I truly am crazy! lol
    dragonqueen

Comment by dragonqueen (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think that's great of you!!! :)
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Crazy? Of course not, I adopted tween twin girls and it was truly the best thing that ever happened to me (along with my son's adoption he-he). You need to do some reading about how to help kids deal with some of the things that they will have been through if they're available for adoption as an older child. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 8:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think its fabulous!!! not many will incourage the thought of what you are but I think you should - its a great age to be influenced and think of the blessings you can provide him
    Tonesgirl

Answer by Tonesgirl at 11:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010