breastfeeding Question?

I'm not exactly sure what category this falls under so please excuse me if it is in the wrong area.
I'm currently pregnant with baby #2 in 2 yrs. I am 26 weeks.
With DD i had GD and wasn't able to BF.
I want to try with DD #2, but I haven't had my GD test yet, and I'm getting a C-section and planning on having my tubes tied.
Will this interfere in any way ?

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 1:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it won't interfere. How did GD interfere the first time?
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 1:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Having a c-section can delay your milk coming in by a couple days, but as long as you nurse ASAP after delivery and nurse on demand you shouldn't have many issues as far as that goes. I don't know anything about nursing and GD, but meeting with a lactation consultant before you deliver and getting some info and tips will definitely help with any issues.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I had a C-section and my milk was not delayed. Everyone is different. If you milk comes in a little late, then supplementing with formula will not hurt anything, as long as you continue to nurse until your milk comes in.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 1:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You can nurse after having GD. And like they said, as long as you insist on nursing immediately and on demand, you will be fine. Just remember: Baby can survive just fine of colostrum for a long time. It is higher calories than the milk anyway, even if you don't feel full doesn't mean you aren't making milk, baby crying or fussing or eating nonstop is not a good indicator of supply, having at least 6 wet diapers is a perfect sign that you are making enough and it is getting through baby.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You do NOT need to supplement with formula unless baby has lost MORE than 10% body weight. And it is a known fact that MOST of the time milk is SLIGHTLY delayed after a c-section and that also has to do with mom and baby being separated for an hour+ after the birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• How did the GD affect nursing? I had GD with my second, and he nursed exclusively for 8 mos, then we introduced solids, and he continued to nurse, and still is at 3 yrs. Knowing what went wrong the first time can help us help you the second time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh, and I did also have a section, with my GD baby. I will say that SOMETIMES the excess fluids you get for surgery can make your breasts a little more full of fluid, causing the illusion of flat nipples, but within a day that went away. For me anyway.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Not that I know of
    k_hall1784

Answer by k_hall1784 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• No. You should be fine. You can also talk with the lactation consultant at the hospital to. Good luck.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My DD's sugar was too low and the nurses suggested at the time I formula feed, because my breastmilk did not bring up her sugar after more than 24 hrs of trying.

AshleyRoseG

Comment by AshleyRoseG (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2010