Shoot to kill if it means protecting your loved ones

This is a spin off of my previous question about having a gun in the home with children around. Anyways someone said they they won't own a gun because they don't believe in killing.
When someone breaks into your home you don't know what they want or what they are going to do justbecause you suggest to take what ever they want doesnt mean they will leave alone. Plus you don't have to kill them with the gun, maybe pop a bullet in each knee cap or even the foot.

My question is would you shoot to kill if it mean protecting your loved ones?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• this is a no-brainer. nobody hurts my babies
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 1:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yes, I honestly believe I would. But I wouldn't have a gun in my house because I would be afraid of a kid getting his hands on it. I hear more stories about kids getting the gun and tragedy occurring than about actually needing to use it to protect against an intruder.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 1:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If I believed that their intent was to harm my family then yes, and I wouldn't attempt to aim at a knee a foot. The likelihood that you will actually hit and stop them is lower. If I am going to shoot then its going to count, if I truly believe they intend to harm us.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If i knew with out a doubt, no hesitations, that they were going to take my daughter's life...yes I would pop them in their ass....sorry but it's my daughter's life before any one else's, including my own. If there was hesitation that they would not take her life, I may just shoot them in the leg or something, BUT if i was sure(then again can you ever be "Sure" of something in that kind of situation-the stress, adrenalin.etc) they were going to kill her then yes----Their ass is grass. Man I feel like I am jinxing myself....knock on wood.....
    Nonie73

Answer by Nonie73 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would and it is a great ? to ask, especially in a lot of states even if the person has come into your home, if you kill them you can be charged with man slaughter or worse. You are (again in most states) only allowed to use as much force as the perp. Meaning if they are using fists and hitting you you can hit them back but shooting them would be illegal, if they were coming at you with a knife or had a gun and the intent to kill you then you can shoot them... but if they just broke into your house and were stealing things and you shoot them and they died you would be charged. Also, in some states like Wisconsin you don't even have the "self defense option, or lethal force option) Most likely you would be charged, might not get a lot of time but will be put on trial. So it is a question you should ask yourself and know the consequences of the actions as well (how your state rules)

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 1:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Without a single doubt in my mind, yes I would! We do own guns, they are kept in our home, and my son (10) has been through a hunting/gun safety course already. And yes, if they break into my home, their intentions are not good, and I will not stop to ask them what they are before I shoot.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Absolutely!!! Wish my ex would break in!!!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 2:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yes, I would! And I would not lose even a little bit of sleep over it.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 2:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yes! I have asked several cops in my family what to do if someone broke in, and they have all said "If you feel like you are threatened enough to shoot someone, then kill them. Dont injure them. A dead man cant talk, therefore cannot sue you or lie" I live in mississippi and our gun laws are pretty relaxed. They dont have to even be in your home, just on your property and threatening you with physical harm.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Not sure how you can 'not believe in' killing. Or, rather, without living in a non-stop state of sin. Nothing we eat survives the process --not veal, not carrots. I haven't met anyone who's philosophically in such a determined place about the subject that they refuse antibiotics.. but that's me being chronically aware of the generalizations people tend to make when they haven't been thinking very hard.

I live in a country where gun ownership is rare, and tends to be restricted entirely to rural residents, hunters, collectors and, obviously, cops and robbers. So, I'm not anywhere near as likely to be standing next to someone armed as our neighbours to the south are...

I don't own guns, and would never store them in the house, because people are much more likely to be shot with their own guns than ever have any reason to threaten to shoot someone else.

But, yes --I would definitely take someone's head off to save my family.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010