Anyone get hives for no reason?

For 2 years I have broke out into hives every day for no reason. There is no trend to it at all. I have not changed my routine at all (ie, soaps, detergents, lotions ect). And they happen any and everywhere on my body at any time of day or night. I have always had sensitive skin, but this is just crazy. My doctor is at a loss too. We can't figure it out. I have done blood work numerous times. I have taken allergy meds like benadryl and they helped, but now even they aren't working.  All of my products are for sensitive skin and I don't use harsh chemicals.   I go back to the Dr at the end of the month, but I am absolutely dying. I can't even leave my house some days it's so bad. When this first happened she said it would last about 6 months. She was shocked when I came back a year later and they were still there. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there anything you tried that helped stop it other than drugs? She is probably going to send me to a specialist, but Im not getting my hopes up that they can help me either. I have done countless hours of research and can't find anything like this lasting for this long. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Health

• Sometimes hives can be caused by stress. Do you get stressed easily?
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 1:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Your body is acting on a food allergy I think, even though you eat the same thing this could be a issue I would start with all milk products. I heard about this once before and it did end up being all dairy products were literally poison to his body.
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 1:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't think so. I mean there is nothing over stressful about my life. I am having an 'attack' right now and my kids are asleep and I was watching tv. Sometimes I can attribute it to a stressful situation, but it happens in my sleep too. Or when I am just reading a book or taking a shower. I just can't find a trend.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• There isn't a such thing as "For no reason". Everything has a reason behind it even if we don't know what it is. You can grow an allergy towards something that you've used for years. You can also become allergy to foods or ingredients in foods as well. Allergies aren't always something you're born with, but can lay dormant for years until one day your body has a negative reaction. It's most likely something you're using or eating that is causing them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You never get hives for 'no reason.' You may never, ever figure out the reason... but 'no reason' isn't possible.

You may just be having a histamine response because of stress. Have you tried dealing with your stress levels? No matter what is causing your hives (and it could be foods, additives to foods, and even hypoallergenic ingredients in the products you're using --just because 99% of sensitive people don't react to that doesn't mean your body can't) handling stress better can't hurt.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I tried taking out all tomato products because I read that you can develop allergies to them as you get older, but I never heard of milk allergies appearing later in life. I will try that. I don't eat much dairy though. I hate milk. Thanks for letting me know!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I know my niece she gets hives just from eating things with red 40 in it but she also receives other negative effects.
    BrandiCol55

Answer by BrandiCol55 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Get allergy tested. Hives are an allergic reaction. If you have watched all of your foods, fabric and body products, then it is possible that it is environmental. Could be dust, mold, pollen... feathers, pet hair, something your kids or husband use.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My friend had all sorts of tests and it turned out to be a reaction to her feather pillow. As soon as she got rid of it the hives went away. Just one idea.........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Did you recently move? I lived in an apt that made me break out in hives. There was something in the air that caused it. I moved & haven't broken out since. Anything can cause hives. Could be dust, chemicals, food.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010