Do you have a child with ADHD?

I am doing a research paper on ADHD medications and it's effects on children. If you have a child with ADHD, i would like to know how you feel about the treatments for the condition. Do you think that they work well, would you like to see more treatment other than medication, if so... what? If you would like to help me out, please message me. I would like to learn from your personal experiences.
Thanks

Natasha765

Asked by Natasha765 at 6:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Health

• Yes, I have a child with ADHD. I've done plenty of research on my own over the years and I don't believe traditional meds are the answer and they should never be the first line of defense. I believe most individuals can benefit from a biomedical approach to treating the underlying issues that manifest themselves as ADHD behaviors.  I wrote about this in my journal. If you're looking for additional information about the effects of medication and how they work in the body, I suggest you read Talking Back to Ritalin by Dr. Peter Breggin. Good luck

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I AM a person with ADHD. I was diagnosed at the age of 7. The medication was ok.... it DID help me focus and do my work. My grades sky rocketed in high school when I started taking it again. But I lost a lot of weight because of it. It also cause reclusive behavoir. I just wanted to sit in my room and read and do homework. I'm naturally an outgoing person but the meds changed it. I was easily irritable and would be mean to people. I was still on the meds at 18 when I met my now husband. I was mean to him too and I almost lost him. I stopped taking it and am back to my old self. A really bad side effect was weight gain after I got off of it. I'm pregnant now but before I was just starting to be able to lose the weight, I'm now 20. If you want or need more details, if you have any questions, just message me k?? =)
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I have a child who was originally diagnosed as ADHD. He has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. He's also got a form of Epilepsy which may or may not have been a result from ADHD meds. I'd never been a big supporter of medications, especially after learning that these meds could be the cause of his epilepsy, but I do know that he performs much better at school when he is taking these meds. My daughter also takes meds for ADHD. Their teachers' say "it's like a night and day difference" and they can tell if I've forgotten to give them their meds. Both of my children were testing slightly below grade average on developemental tests but escalated to average and slightly above average after being administered medications for ADHD. I'm weary of all medications and the side effects that come along with them but overall these medications seem to have helped my children.
    Antares8th

Answer by Antares8th at 7:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2008