How much should I feed my 1 month old ?

My baby just turned 1 month on November 29th. I currently feed her 4 ounces and she seems like she wants more sometimes. My sister, who has 2 kids, says I should up her intake to 6 ounces to make her more full during the day. And by doing this it would make her be less likely to get hungry during the night, since she only gets up once. Is 6 ounces to much ?

jenna_rose

Asked by jenna_rose at 1:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The baby will let you know when it is too much.

Answer by older at 1:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• How much is she getting total daily? Recommendation is 24-32 oz in 24 hours. If increasing a couple bottles a day to 6oz doesn't put her too far above that then go for it. 6oz sounds like a lot for a 1 month old to me, but if that is what your baby needs, then give it to her.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That seems like a lot TO ME, a woman who never used bottles. I would probably try feeding smaller amounts more frequently. 4 oz is I believe "average" for a FF baby at that age, but to up it to 6 seems like overkill. Again, I have ZERO experience formula feeding/bottle feeding, so this is an educated guess.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh, and your 1 mo old only gets up once at night? Lucky! I wouldn't do anything to get her to skip that one feeding during the night, at this age, babies are legitimately hungry during the night (most of them, anyway)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Her stomach is the same size as her fist.

She needs to have her bottle held in such a way that she is required to draw the milk out intentionally, rather than having it upended over her face where she has to swallow or drown. A lot of bottle-fed babies are being grossly overfed --as much as 100 times as many calories as they need in a day-- because the people feeding them don't know how to do it correctly.

Because she can only eat a small amount at a time, she needs to eat more frequently.

There is nothing that will stop her from being hungry in the night. She's growing and using as many calories while she's sleeping as she does when she's awake. If you think it's reasonable for her not to eat between 7am and 6pm, it might be reasonable to think she'd sleep without waking that much of the time.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• At almost a month, her stomach is the size of a shooter marble to maybe her fist size, she shouldn't even need 4oz.

And an almost one month old doesn't need overfed just to not wake at night, she needs to wake and eat.

smaller bottles more frequently is what she needs..it is more inline with nature feeding(breast). And acting like she wants more is ALSO a sign she is overfull and tummy hurts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• How often does she eat? I fed my baby girl about 2 oz every 1.5-2.5 hours during the day and would let her eat as much as she wanted. She would usually only wake up once-about 2:00am- during the night.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I always gave my son what ever amount he would eat, He would let me know when he was full. At one month old my son was eating 8oz at a time. My Dr. says if he is hungry feed him, hes a growing boy. LOVED MY DOC!
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If she likes it, I say why not. My doctor says it is probably to much, but I just let mine eat whenever she is hungary.  She is gaining weight at a normal rate. Good luck.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My son was taking more than that at that age. He would refuse more when he had enough. Most babies stop when they are full and complain when they want more! I would add a little more to the bottles and see if she will take it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2010