What's it like to be perfect?

There's a story in the news right now about a woman who accidentally caused the death of a child with cough medicine that until recently was perfectly ok to give to babies. There are women all over this site calling her stupid and evil. Every day we see answers telling women how horrible they are for not breast feeding, not letting kids CIO (or letting kids CIO), not putting them in ERF until their knees break their nose, and just generally, not being perfect, like the moms who write these posts.

I'm not perfect. My kid has had scraped knees, bruises and once fell over and hit his head on the tv stand. I must really suck at this whole parenting thing. For those who know best to tell everyone else how they're doing it wrong, what is it like to be perfect?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Its pretty damn amazing actually... ( haha...)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Why, being perfect is wonderful!! My children always behave perfectly and are never any trouble at all. They never get hurt, or sick, or even have a messy room. They eat whatever I put on their plate and always got to bed on time! I never have a lick of trouble out of them!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I feel terrible for that lady, I don't understand the complete lack of empathy in many posts.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• REALLY? There are other MOTHERS on here kicking this traumatized mom while she's already down? I have knews for you ladies you might want to check whats goin on in your own back yards before casting stones! If any thing we should be rallying around this mama whom LOST her child instead of brow beating her. I say take a walk in her shoes but you all can't can you? Why? because you CAN NOT comprehend what she is going through we all still have our babies! Im sorry but this post just rubbed me the wrong way! Shame on you all.
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 2:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Well, I would tell you what it's like to be perfect, but I don't want to cause any drama.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 2:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't know what it's like to be perfect (Thank goodness! How boring!). That poor mother =(
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Mothers have a way of getting kind of defensive about their choices. It's a product of uncertainty.

When we know that what we've done contained risks that we've accepted, we are more likely to see that other parents have made decisions that involve nothing more than accepting different risks.

I like a slightly different way of making the big decisions: if the worst happens (kid dies, say), can you live with yourself and your choice? Because if you can't, you'd better think up a different one.

The idea that we can eliminate risk is delusional... all of life carries risk. It's which ones we are cautious about and which we dismiss as unlikely (like dying of a bad reaction to otc medication) that we have control over --not which ones will happen.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. ~George Fisher

That about sums up the story of my life~!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't have a clue, never been accused of it!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 2:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Ask my SIL lol! I agree we are all human. I feel bad for that woman as if she isnt already going thru enough!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010