If you buy new shoes, wear them, and they hurt your feet is it ok to return them?

I have worn the shoes 2x, hoping the break them in, instead they are breaking my feet. Of course, they did not hurt when I tried them on at the store. They are my size. The sides rub into my feet and little toes. What can I do? Am I stuck with them?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 6:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Shopping

• Why wouldn't you be able to return them? If they hurt you, a company should stand by their product and refund your money. I've done it before once or twice. If you don't return them, then that company's shoes will only hurt more people and they will keep churning out faulty products. That's business--if a roofer doesn't do a good job, wouldn't you expect them to fix it without cost? I worked in the fashion design industry, and at the major department store headquarters that I worked at, if something was returned, it was not sold again and sent to a less fortunate group of people.
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 1:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Each store has a different return policy. Chances are if they are worn they cannot be returned. Perhaps they can be returned for an in-store credit; check the stores return policy. If the shoes are bothering you because they are rubbing your feet at a specific area and causing a blister you can try moleskin (usually sold near the shoe insoles and such). It is like a band-aid for your foot and will prevent irritation caused by the shoe. If you really want to return them, I would call the store, explain your problem and see what the manager says. Good Luck!
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 7:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• look at it this way, Would you want to buy a pair of shoes someone elses feet have been in for two days? If you feel fine about it, return them if they'll let you
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Worn for 2 days? You know how many ppl already tried them on in the store! Take em back. Ive done it before. Just get a rag and alcohol and clean the up a bit! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think the policy of most stores is that if you have worn them outside your house or so that the bottoms of the shoes are dirty, you cannot return them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My mom says it isn't right to use something and take it back. It is like stealing, so when her feet hurt after getting new shoes, she gives them to me!! I'm always getting new shoes!!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 7:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I remember a few years ago I tried to return a pair of shoes that I had worn, but because I had worn them outside, they would not take them.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• The worst that can happen is they say No. BUT your fet are all you have, take GOOD care of them. I just bought a pair of Rockports, supposedly wide. They were the worst fir I've ever had. I have tiny feet that are almost as wide as they are long! Just because the shoe is on sale, odn't think it'll stretch...even if they ASSURE they will! Itook 'em back, and got full store credit!
    Starnana

Answer by Starnana at 7:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It depends on where you bought them. I bought a pair of Payless before, wore them for a whole day and the bottoms were a little dirty. They hurt my feet so I was never going to wear them again so I took them back. I told the cashier that I had worn them and they kill my feet and she said no probem and took them back. It just depends on the store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• nope. Once you have worn them on the street they won't take them back. I have been to the Nike store and tried and even to Walmart. If you did not wear them and there is no evidence that you did than you can.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 6, 2008