Eating Behaviors / Battles at Mealtime?

Do your toddlers have one meal that they eat better than any other? How do you face the other mealtimes? My 2 1/2 year old daughter will eat a good meal (vegetables first always) at every single meal. My 2 year old though will only eat a good breakfast. The rest of the day she only wants crackers. Crackers. All day long. :-) I'm having a hard time trying not to battle her over this, but I want to make sure her diet is well balanced. Any suggestions?

mommytoadam

Asked by mommytoadam at 7:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Offer her three meals and two snacks a day. Different things each time. She will eat when she is hungry. Don't force her to eat, just have her sit with the family during dinner, once a half hour is up, and she hasn't finished eat, or hasn't ate at all then she is done. She won't starve, toddlers know when they are hungry or not and will eat accordingly. (My son's speech therapist and doctor told me this to get him to eat better and on his own.) Oh and offer all food groups and let her choose. Good luck, it's hard, I've been there!!! Oh and watch portion size, if you are putting too much food on her plate it could discourage her (scare her in a way) and make her not even want to try it. I hope this helps, good luck, again!!!!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 8:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Don't offer crackers during other meal and snack times, eventually she will choose something else.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• When your daughter is hungry she will eat. Just tell her no to crackers. She wont starve. My son eats whatever I put in front of him because I make it a rule that I only cook one meal for dinner. If he tries something and really doesn't like it I will get him something else but he has to at least try it. Just wait till she is hungry and she will eat what you give her. She may fight you for a bit but in the end you are the parent and if you cave now your problems will only get bigger. Good Luck!
    micahssupermom

Answer by micahssupermom at 12:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• lunch time is hard for us bc anthony doesn't like to eat before his nap and then when he wakes up in the late afternoon he is starving and cranky! just keep offering her different things and buy different crackers, there are so many healthy cracker options out there, and if she doesn't like them maybe she'll consider eating something else. good luck
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 12:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• What does your pediatrician say?
    There are a few schools of thought on this one. Some may say just let her eat the crackers because it won't be forever and eventually she'll tire of them.
    Others may say eliminate crackers completely.
    I think I would allow her to have the crackers for one snack/meal only and then give her other options for the rest of the day.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2008