My DD is almost 6 months and I worry I hold her too much. How much is too much?

I'm afraind of turning my DD into a needy baby that feels like she needs to be held all of the time.

Averylee85

Asked by Averylee85 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't spoil a baby that young. Hold her as much as you want!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You know, I don't think you can hold your baby too much. I have 3 boys, and I never put them down when they were babies. The minute they learned to crawl, they hardly wanted to be held anymore, they wanted to be getting around on their own, and by the time the could walk that was it, they wanted to be independent. I say hold them while you can, they grow up too quickly.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• They just are or aren't 'needy' in that department imo. My DS was perfectly content to be on his own but my DD is almost 3 and still 'requires' constant attention form me. I wouldn't call wanting to be with you spoiled.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Agreed with Tararenee.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree hold her as much as you want as they grow up so fast!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Babies do need to be held - grownups need to be held too. I know you don't want to turn her into a "needy" child but my experience is that when children DON'T get what they is when they turn into a NEEDY child. Personally I'd rather have one I need to wean from having too much than one who never got enough, that's when they become insatiable. If a childs true needs are met, it's easier to distract them or interest them in something else when they're overreacting. Each child is different. I say listen to your gut about what's enough.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 2:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• As long as you still let her have tummy time to develop her muscles, I don't think there's anything wrong with holding her alot. Did your mom or MIL put this in your head? Cause my grandma used to say if you hold a baby too long it will get spoiled. Old wives tale.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Soon she won't want to be held so much. She will start crawling and exploring. Enjoy her! You can't hold a baby too much!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree with But Mommie... holding your baby will NOT spoil them
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• There's no such thing as "too much". They all NEED to be held and they all eventually become more independent. Soon enough she will be running away from you and you will be begging to hold her again like you did when she was a baby.

Be warned that separation anxiety is coming up soon. She may not let you put her down and may scream every time you walk out of her sight. That doesn't mean she's spoiled, it's just a normal developmental phase. Hold her as much as she needs then and she will develop a strong trust in you and that starts them on the road to independence.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2010