Diabetes question..

I work with a young man who has downs syndrome and is diabetic. He takes 4-5 insulin shots a day. He is kind of over weight, but he's not obese or anything. I'd say he's prob a size 38 or so. But his mother has decided that he is over weight and has cut all his food in HALF. He is sooooo grumpy now. He had a big fit for me yesterday and I knew he was hungry, I could hear his stomach growling! Once he ate dinner he was in a better mood. But I am not lokoing forward to this every day.. and his bs is really messed up now. The other day when he got home from his classes it was 85, and that was about an hour after he ate a cookie! I work for a company so I can't really say anything to his mom, we don't control his medical. But this cannot be good for him! Would you say something? I told her he was really hungry and she just laughed and said "yea he probably is!" and has even mentioned adjusting his insulin. I've talked to the office about all of this, but since we don't do his medical stuff there is nothing we can do. I'm just scared she is really going to hurt him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Health

• Well report it to CPS. While 85 isn't low enough to hurt a diabetic, it will lead to a low if something with healthy carbs isn't eaten soon. Perhaps a less agressive approach is to look for a used copy of healthy diabetic cookbooks and meal plans and give him the book to give his mother....perhaps then she will smarten up
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You work with kids..that makes you a madatory reporter. If you feel there is abuse going on report it. If someone else reports it and they find out you knew..you can be in trouble too. At minimum consult your supervisor about it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You are a mandatory reporter and this boys mother is committing medical NEGLECT, call CPS and turn her in, before she kills her son because she is not feeding him properly and it messes with his blood sugar so much he goes into a coma.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh and if something happens to him or someone else reports it and it is found out that you didn't do anything, you can be charged and the consequences are jail time and a HUGE fine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• um... i would say something. people with downs are often a bit "overweight"...
    asil

Answer by asil at 4:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010