What is a witch?

forgive me, but I thought all witches were the same. After reading the religion post I noticed that there are different types. Would you please explain a little bit of what you are and how it i different from another?

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• All Witches ARE basically the same. A witch's beliefs and practices however can vary greatly. A witch is anyone who uses his/her energy or the energy in the world around them to change the world around them through focusing techniques. What is different from witch to witch is what religious beliefs or lack there of that he/she holds in addition to her practice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Conley, anyone can do what your husband does. It simply comes to some of us a little more naturally than others. And yes, that is a very basic form of Magick/Witchcraft. It's not something unnatural or evil, it's simply the manipulation of energy.

These articles may help you understand what I'm talking about:

Can you be Christian and a Witch

The Science of Magick

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Well, i would guess that all witches aren't the same just like all christians aren't the same.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• This may help you to understand a little better...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Sabrina stated it nicely (as usual TY Sabrina)..
    Being a Witch is basically the same intent, but it is the individual's spiritual beliefs that varies from Witch to Witch...
    I am a Electric Wiccan Witch, which means (to ME) that I follow the basics of the Wiccan Religion, but draw from
    other Pagan beliefs (electric) and I practice Witchcraft... I am also Solitary, which means I do not belong to a Coven or
    group of other like minded ppl...
    Witchcraft IS NOT a religion in it's self, it IS a practice ... there are many Witches who are non-religious and many who
    are including religious including being of the Christian faith and practicing the Craft...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've done A LITTLE research on witches and it's actually a very postive and fascinating religion! It doesn't completely fit with my beliefs but some of their practices/beliefs hold truth to me. I understand it as using the earths natural elements(wind, fire etc.) and gaining positive energy from it and giving positive energy back. If you use the earths elements for bad purposes you will receive negative energy 10 fold or is it 3 fold-whatever it is it's not good.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Witchcraft is a practice (NOT a religion) common to witches. It is the same to every witch, the using of personal energies to create a positive life for themselves and others. Witches have differing religious or non-religious traditions that they follow. I am a witch practitioner who is an atheist. Therefore I follow NO religious tradition. Some follow Dianic or other wiccan belief forms. Some don't. Witchcraft--practice. Witch--SOMEtimes religious.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Very nicely put Sabrina. For me I am a kitchen witch by personal practice, meaning I put energy into what I cook and make in my home (like candles, incense, bath and cleaning products).. say I am making spaghetti.. I will put energy into the herbs and the sauce with an intent (such as bringing happiness to my family) and put that energy into the food as a way of my entire family to take in my magic through enjoying our family meal. My religious beliefs are British Traditional Wiccan, meaning I believe in a specific religion and handed down group practice from the coven which I was trained in, as a framework for my beliefs.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I am a solitaire, ---meaning I do not belong to a coven. I was born a witch. I practice the old Religion. I am not really Wiccan...
    To a witch everything is alive and has power... We know; we will; we dare and we keep silent... ( These are a couple of the basic tenants of the Old Ways. ) IT IS HARD TO EXPLAIN WHAT IT REALLY MEANS TO BE A WITCH.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 5:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• A witch is anyone who uses his/her energy or the energy in the world around them to change the world around them through focusing techniques.

Well you guys know that my husband and I are strong in our Christian faith. Please don't think I am crazy but my hubby can do this weird energy thing. He doesn't do it much any more because he mentioned it to our spitual counselor and she told him not to. He can push his "energy" to someone else. You can actually feel an electric current move from his body to yours. It is so weird!!! And then he feels physically drained. Is this the same type of energy you are talking about??
    Conley639

Comment by Conley639 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010