Does anyone think Obama's mother seems to have been somewhat selfish?

First late me say I'm a huge Obama supporter and am elated by his win. Saying that, whenever I hear about his mother I feel sort of put off by her. Yes, she was a remarkable women and did important work, but she left her son (and possibly daughter, not sure about that one) thousands of miles away with their grandparents, so she could pursue her own interests. Personally seems to me that her priorities were a bit f***ed up.
On the other hand, Obama seems like an awesome family man.

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 7:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• To be honest. I didn't even know his mother was in the picture. I've only heard talk about his Grandmother. I was a McCain supporter so didn't pay that much attention to talk of her , which I don't recal hearing. I agree that it seems kind of weird/sad that a mother would behave in that manner. What great works has she done that we probably should have heard about to justify a mother leaving her children? I' m not bashing...I, like you, am curious.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• You should go to Wikipedia to learn about her. Her name was Ann Dunham. Regardless of what you think of all of her decisions, she was a fascinating woman.
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 8:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Good thing she "laid with" that person. An extrodinary man came of it.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Allowing your child to live with someone better suited to raising them isn't necessarily selfish, IMO. In fact, it can be just the opposite. Since I have not been in her shoes, I won't judge. What's important is that the child has the best possible upbringing in a loving environment and it sounds as though that is what he had with his grandmother.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:27 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• yeah look at him he turned out to be a great man I think god had a plan for him

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I don't know about you, but if my mother sent me to my grandparents because they could have provided a better life for me and gave a better education, then I would feel that my mother loved me very much and was not selfish at all! I would love to have had the opportunities that Obama had when it comes to education.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think we all make decisions in our lives based on what we think is best. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and judge somebody else's choices in life. Would I make the same choices? I can't say for sure, but most likely not. I can't help but wonder how the world would judge the decisions I've made, or yours. His mother's choices clearly didn't cause too much damage - her son is our next President.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 10:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• She's passed on. What I think of her is a moot point. I think Obama has shown some great values so based upon that I think she may have given him something. He was raised by his grandparents yes, but not his whole life. She was in the picture at times.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Thank you ladies for the great web sites and info on his mother. I have a better iunderstanding now on the story. I wasn't making a judgment earlier ......I've never walked in her shoes. Everyone makes sacrifices, she made hers and look what he's become. I'm proud of him and I'm not even related : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Well, the reason she comes across as selfish is because Obama lived with his grandparents in Hawaii from the age of 10 on so she could get her phd and do field work. She was also married by the way and was financially stable. It's not like she left him because she was incapable of caring for him. Seems to me she could have chosen to pursue a path that didn't involve essentially missing out on half of her son's childhood years.
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 3:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2008