What did women do years ago when they didn't have the excuse of depression?

I mean, women had to do farmwork, take care of the house, take care of MULTIPLE children, and work in the fields. They didn't have TIME to be depressed and just have "me time". I see so many women complaining about how depressed and overwhelmed they are after having a baby, and everyone tells them " YOU HAVE PPD!!! GO TO THE DOCTOR!" What did these women do before Prozac?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• They lived in multi-generational homes and had family nextdoor with LOADS of support and they had small communities that helped each other. We have lost the whole 'it takes a village' attitude and thus depression set in. They did suffer depression. They just had more support for it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think just because they didn't have Prozac back then doesn't mean that women didn't go through depression and I think it is immature to think like that, it is like saying the same thing about a tooth ache, or something what did these people do before pain pills. Just because the meds were not there doesn't mean things like that didn't happen.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 3:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• People are more isolated from thier communities than ever before. We had less PPD because we had closer connections with our families, friends, and neighbors by virtue of proximity alone.

Also, the first time many women spend with a newborn or infant is when they have one. Years ago, when our connections were closer, we spent more time around children and had a better idea of what to expect.

It takes a village.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Things are so much different now... everyone goes way to fast, dont often think of others first, to many electronic devices, and kids dont help out and play outside like they did in those days.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 3:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've never suffered from depression but I do feel it is very much real. Women back in the day had more support but they didn't have a lot of modern conveniences like we do now-like right now I'm washing a load of laundry, doing dishes and supper is in the crockpot! I'm so lazy that I've highly considered getting one of those vacuum cleaners that just rolls around all day! There was a time when none of this was available and women were too busy to think. Having these appliances leaves a lot of time for me to think....Also, a lot of women are in the workforce and are not happy with their jobs or feel guilty leaving their prize possesions in anothers care but don't have any other choice. I also don't believe people were made to sit in offices all day.JMO.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• "excuse" ?? I am not even going to waste my breathe trying to have a deep hearted response to this one... some women this week have the EVIL bug... sheesh
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• They also gave lobotomies and locked women up. You could not stop crying you went away and recieved electric shock until you could behave the way society expected. Electric shock was a big treatment for depression back then.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Im pretty sure there are natural ways to help lower depression or anxiety. Before medication alot of people used natural ways to relive tons of problems. Headaches, colds, coughs, fevers and stomach aches. Im sure if you were to look into ways people dealt with depression you would figure it out. It doesnt take a genius but most people these days are fine with being loaded with drugs to deal with the problems. We are too medical minded and thinking medicine cures all.
    Sammieda

Answer by Sammieda at 3:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Wow, nice attitude. You have no idea how women in the past deal with how hard it is to be a wife, mother and just basically taking care of everything. I highly doubt they just went on about their business and had no effects whatsoever.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Personally back then there weren't as many "problems" with that kind of stuff because first off they ate a hell of a lot better than most of us now. Your diet can have a LOT to do with depression. Plus the kids were expected to help out alot earlier then ours now.

It's really unfair to compare the 2 times. The fact is that yes we have modern tech that makes things easier on us but we also have more stress. We may not have to work sun up to sun down but now we have things like drugs and crime (violent) and the "family" unit unfortunately isn't valued as much so small things seem bigger then they did back then.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2010