My 6 year old son is a terror

In school! His behavior is terrible in school. I know people are questioning my parental skills but the things he does at school he does not do at home. He grades are great, but he totally tries to run the school! I'm am running out of options. What discipline methods do u use?

mommyg24

Asked by mommyg24 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe you should check into sitting in class without giving him warning, if your school would allow it.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 3:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thanks, I've done that several times. And Im putting in my request now to get Monday off so I can go again.
    mommyg24

Comment by mommyg24 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You have to let your son know that you and his teacher are on the same page. Your teacher needs to let you know everything even the little things he does. So he doesnt feel like he is or can get away with anything. And then when he gets home you discipline him which ever method you use. Or I would suggest going to school sitting in on his classes. Not just once but several times. And you correct any misbehavior right there in the class. This might be a little embarrassing. But sometimes thats what kids need. You know when your child acts out in the store in front of everyone. If you let them get away with it then they continue to do it. And after a few sit ins you let your son know I will keep doing this if you dont straighten up. I have a 6 year old son and I know that they do what they feel they can get away with. Whatever you do just be consistent with it.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Have you tried a behavioral chart? You can make one up and for everyday he is good have the teacher sign it with a smiley and then reward him. If he misbehaves have the teacher put a frown on it and take something that he likes away. I've used this method on my 4 year old to teach him manners and it seems to work well.
    Kitten19

Answer by Kitten19 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• "...tries to run the school" It sounds like maybe he is bullying other kids. Right?

Have you talked with him about what he's doing, and why he does it? Also, if talking with him can't resolve the problem, maybe a conference with him and a school counselor.

Does he have friends in his class. Sometimes kids just don't know how to make friends, so they 'interact' in inappropriate ways.

It's hard to make suggestions without the whole picture, but I would start with probing the child to find the root cause for his misbehavior.

GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Here's an example of yesterday

Well, I wish I could say it was a good one.  However, we've had some challenges.  This morning Jacob was making fun of a girl and lost a sticker.  During reading and language he didn't do his work because he was having a tantrum over losing his sticker.  He took all his stickers off his plan and crumpled it up.  In art he colored his tongue with the black crayons.  After the animal guy he was running in the hall and sliding on his belly in the line.  He knows I am emailing you so he is throwing another tantrum and he just threw his chair and kicked it.  I am not allowing him to do free time activities due to his behavior and now he is screaming.  I told him to go and sit in the recovery chair out in the hall to calm down and he told me no.  I gave him a "look" and he went.  He's out there cooling off now.

mommyg24

Comment by mommyg24 (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• So we discussed his behavior from yesterday and he recieved a spanking with a belt on his butt.
    Heres this morning.
    Good Morning,

Jacob started out a little grumpy because he said he was in trouble.  I just told him that it was a new day and he could make different choices today.  I told him that I forgave him for yesterday and then he had a great morning behaviorally.  Except one thing, he stole candy from my parent work station.  Another student told me about it.  He said he didn't, but I checked his pocket and it was there.  He is working for me during his lunch as punishment.  I'll keep you posted on the rest of his day.

Now, he left the house in great mood.. He had a good breakfast and a little tv time. I always kiss him and encourage him to have a good day!
    mommyg24

Comment by mommyg24 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• This is this afternoon:(

Jacob was sent to Mr. Fite during Spanish.  He told me it was because he didn't want something that was the color pink so he threw it and had a tantrum.  Ms. P told Ms Wathen that she told him to color something and he told her to "Color these nuts". 
    mommyg24

Comment by mommyg24 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• So after that last email from the teacher, I called my husband to go pick him up. I told my hubby to have him write to apology letters to his teachers and they need to be done by the time I get home. Plus he can watch tv or play video games!
    mommyg24

Comment by mommyg24 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That should say can't watch tv or play games..sorry I'm on my iPhone.
    mommyg24

Comment by mommyg24 (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010